Chapter 18 - The Truth

Caius's POV

I stood in the corner of Sophia's bedroom watching her sleeping, how her chest rose and fell, how her eyelids fluttered as she dreamed. She was truly beautiful. I thought to myself how I had always despised humans and now was in love with one, rather ironic really.

Suddenly Sophia rolled over and opened her eyes. She ran her eyes around the room until her gaze met mine and froze. Slowly she sat up and reached for the bedside lamp, not taking her eyes off mine. As the room was cast in yellow light we continued our staring 'match', until I held up my hands and surrendered.

"Sophia, it's me, Caius. I didn't mean to wake you." She brushed her orange locks out of her face and relaxed slightly.

"Caius? What are you doing in my bedroom?"

"Honestly?" she nodded her head, "I was watching you sleep, you're beautiful when you sleep." I could see her processing my reply in her head.

"H...how did you get in?"

"Through the window, I climbed." She laughed.

"Like Romeo and Juliet, minus the balcony." I smiled at her response, but quickly returned my expression to my usual frown.

"May I join you?" I asked, signalling to her bed. She nodded and smiled at me, so I quickly sat down by her feet.

"What are you?" Her question caught me off guard and she noticed the confusion in my eyes.

"Sorry?"

"What are you, I mean you're obviously not human, the cold skin, red eyes, hate of human food, ability to climb a three storey building. Are you an alien?" We both laughed at her question.

"No, I'm not an alien."

"Then what? Please tell me."

"What are your theories?"

"What?"

"What do you think I am?"

"Well, if you're not an alien then something supernatural. I dunno, maybe a werewolf, or a goblin, or a dragon?" She looked at me with a massive grin on her face.

"Dragon? Really, you think I'm a dragon?"

"Okay, so maybe not a dragon, but what?"

"Promise you won't freak out," she nodded, "I'm a vampire." I could see the fear in her eyes as they dropped to my mouth looking for fangs. "I don't have fangs, I don't sleep in coffins, I can go out in the sunlight..." Sophia raised her hand telling me to stop.

"I...I think you should go."

"Sophia, I..."

"No Caius, I need some time to...please just go." I stood up and walked over to the window, taking one final glance back I jumped out the window and headed home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Aro and Marcus were sat in their thrones when I entered the room.

"Ah brother, what's troubling you?"

"I may have just ruined everything, everything we have worked so hard for." Aro held out his hand and I placed mine in his, allowing him to see my encounter with Sophia, our date, every last piece of information. He let out a sigh, despite the inability to breath, and looked at me in despair.

"My dear Caius, you better hope she understands and forgives you, because otherwise you'll have to find another experiment." I sat there frowning at the floor until Marcus spoke.

"I wouldn't worry my brothers, the bond is strong and true, her emotions will guide the decision more than logic. She will be back before the week is out."