Chapter 11 - Deep down

Sophia's POV 

"Sophia!" I spun around to see Caius stood there, staring at me intently. He had this comical look on his face and a crooked grin.

"I thought you might need some help finding your way around?" He searched my face for an answer, but I was mesmerised by his blonde locks. I managed a nod and we both smiled. "This way, unless you want to continue to the bathroom?"

I followed him up another staircase until we reached a long corridor with another spiral staircase at the end.

"In here." He said, holding a dark wooden door open. I entered and stopped instantly. I was surrounded by lush red wallpaper and antique objects. Down one side was a massive bookcase and on the other, a plump sofa. I noticed a book open on the sofa and wandered over to it, Charles Darwin The Untold Theories.

"Sorry, I wasn't expecting visitors."

"It's fine. You should see my place!"

"Sit down, tell me about yourself." We both sat on the sofa and began chatting. He told me about his relationship with Aro and Marcus, how he enjoyed the classics when it came to literature, how he never learnt to drive. I told him about my life back home before I'd moved out here, my mum's engagement, my brother. Everything was going really well, until I asked him about one of the paintings on his wall.

"Who's that, in the painting with you?"

"That's my wife... was my wife I should say." He was staring at the floor, pondering over something, but I couldn't tell what.

"I'm so sorry... I ... uhh ..."

"It's okay, it was a while ago now." We stood there awkwardly, I knew I had to say something.

"How young were you, when you got married?" He looked no older than 25, therefore he must have married her when he was still a teenager.

"Um ... she was 16, I was 18, we eloped, ran away to France and got married. Then she was attacked by this vicious gang of hooligans, but that was 2000 years ago."

"2000 years ago?"

"I meant it feels like it was 2000 years ago, so much has happened since." I nodded, then stood up.

"Well I'd better get back to work."

"Certainly, my necklace is over there." He strolled over to the bookcase and put the heavy chain over his head. "If I don't see you before I'll see you Monday?"

"Yeah, Monday!" I shut the door behind me and headed off down the corridor, confused by the conversation I'd just had.