Chapter 10 - A gift

Sophia's POV

I'd been sat at my desk for half an hour pondering the last 24 hours. I'd seen my bosses trial a man for murder, seen the murder, and then, when I thought I could go home for some peace and quiet, I discovered a package on my doorstep.

~~~

(The night before)

Picking the parcel up and taking it inside I left it on the table while I went to get changed out of my work clothes. I took a long shower, enjoying the feeling of the hot water running over my skin, before getting dressed into pyjama bottoms and a vest.

Wandering into my living room/dining room/ kitchen I rummaged through the fridge, but found nothing. Man, I needed to do a food shop!

I picked up the package and shook it. Nothing! It was light too.

Ripping the Sellotape off I opened the box to reveal a red leather box with diamanté written on the top. I lifted it out and stroked the soft leather. Inside was a pair of diamond earrings, about 2cm long, and a note, 'Saw these and thought of you. James x'

James was my ex boyfriend, we broke up 4 years ago, but I'd been off the dating scene since. James had had a string of girlfriends since wed broken up, but he always came back to me in the end. If I'm being honest it annoyed me. I was long over him, but he kept sending me gifts and love letters telling me how he wanted to get back together.

~~~

I looked up to see Caius walking through the oak doors, his cloak bellowing out behind him and his blood red eyes glistening in the little light.

"Sophia, you wouldn't mind doing me a favour would you?"

"Certainly, Caius" I hesitantly replied, looking at his face, so perfect it must have been carved from marble.

"Could you go up to my room and get my chain, the one with the ruby encrusted v on it. I seem to have forgotten it."

I nodded and smiled sweetly, "Okay."

He continued into the throne room as I leaned back into my chair. His room. He asked me to go up to his room. I stood up and smoothed out my skirt before setting off to find his room. Considering I'd never left the first floor I was slightly worried, but how hard could it be to find a room, right?

Caius' POV

I entered the room, meeting the staring eyes of Aro, Marcus and other members of the guard. I forgot they had supernatural hearing.

[A] "Ahhhhh, brother. How are you this morning?"

[C] "I'm good thank you Aro."

[M] "We were discussing the possible uprising in the east."

[A] "However, we couldn't stop ourselves from overhearing your conversation with Sophia. Don't forget the plan!"

[C] "How could I forget? Willingly, correct?"

They looked at me as though I had 2 heads, or worse, as though I had been sarcastic to them. Aro breathed deeply, despite the inability of actually respiring.

[A] "Why don't you go and help Sophia find her way to your room? It's like a maze up there."

I left, following Sophia's scent through the corridors and up the large marble staircase until I saw her ahead of me. Her pencil skirt hugged her figure, her white blouse stretched slightly at the buttons by her breast and her ginger locks fell past her shoulders, half pinned up in a loose bun.

"Sophia..."