Chapter 5 - Hunt

Aro's POV

I sat in my throne, pondering the day's events. I couldn't stop thinking about Caius' behaviour, the way he stormed off and what Marcus said about him being in love with her. I wouldn't let this human come between Caius and the volturi. I had dealt with this problem before, when it was my own sister, this time would be easy.

A thought suddenly crossed my head, our conversation from yesterday about human / vampire hybrids. I told Caius to look for a human woman, and here one was that had a connection to him. Sophia should be the hybrid's mother, with her beauty, knowledge and possible abilities, now I just had to get Caius to agree.

I stood up and called Chelsea over. We were going to find Caius.

We headed straight for his room, I had to find out from him why he was acting peculiar. I opened his door, but the room was deserted. The books on his shelves down one side of the room, large sofa on the other, single window on the spare wall, decorated with thick, red velvet curtains.

He must be out hunting like he said he would. I'd catch him when he arrived back.

Caius' POV

I waited until dusk and jumped out of the window. Her scent still hung in the air, a mixture of flowers and perfume, so I followed it. I jumped up to her bedroom window and glazed in, she lay asleep on her bed.

Her ginger hair lay on the pillow around her, one arm rested on her stomach, the other above her head. Her chest rose and fell rhythmically as she took in breath. She looked like an angel, sleeping peacefully. I climbed in and stood there watching her.

My whole body felt warm from this feeling I had inside, a thousand butterflies fluttered inside me, I resisted the urge to reach out and stroke her flawless skin, but I couldn't shake the feeling of guilt, it may have been 2000 years since the death of Athenodora, but she was my life, my companion and now I had feelings for another woman. I knew the other vampires would never approve of my new found mate, and what it word got out of the walls of Volterra? We would be shunned by the who vampire community.

I made then the conscious decision, I would protect her with my life, I would ensure no harm came to her, but to do so I must leave her alone, ignore my feelings. My usual hatred and determination wouldn't help me here, I had to be subtle.

Suddenly she stirred in her sleep and rolled over. I knew that was my cue to leave, before she woke up. I leaped out the window, but rather than heading back to the clock tower I headed the entrance into Volterra. Being near Sophia had made my thirst twice as worse, I needed to hunt if I was going to be around her tomorrow. I ran for the forest, my black cloak bellowing out behind me, I had to find a human.