Chapter 20 - Promises

Sophia's POV

Once again the sounds of Billy Joel woke me up, letting me know it was once again time to get ready for work. I took a quick shower and got ready, styling my hair into a messy bun with ginger strands hanging out and dressing into a smart grey dress with black heels.

On my way to work I thought what I would do when I got there, how I would apologise for not being in the day before, but it seemed my worries were irrelevant.

Aro met me in the foyer, his sideways grin plastered worryingly onto his face. He led me to my desk before turning towards me to speak.

"My dear Sophia, I understand you were feeling ill yesterday, were you not?" I nodded, "Before I go I also wanted to let you know that Caius told me what he said and I wanted to reassure you that we are not monsters, we're just human beings with fangs." I nodded and watched him walk into the throne room. Sitting down I let out a very relieved sigh and began my days work.

Caius' POV

Marcus and I were sat in the throne room when Aro came in with a disgusted look on his face rather than his usual evil grin.

[C] "What's wrong brother?"

[A] "I just compared us to those filthy humans." I couldn't help myself from laughing at Aro's response, even Marcus managed a smile.

[M] "How did you compare us to the weaker races brother?"

[A] "I was comforting Sophia after Caius' outburst on Wednesday night when the only way I could think to comfort her was to tell her that we were 'human beings with fangs'."

Once again I laughed, receiving unhappy looks from Aro, so I decided to leave the room and talk to Sophia.

She was sat at her desk, her red hair tied up messily and her blue eyes staring at the computer screen.

"Sophia?" She looked up with a mixture of uncertainty and happiness.

"Caius."

"How are you feeling, after being ill yesterday?"

"Good thank you."

"How are you feeling after what I told you?" By this point I was stood opposite her, the only thing separating us was the desk.

"I'm okay, but I need something from you."

"What do you need? You can have anything, money, immortality, a room in the castle, anything."

"I need a promise," I looked at her in confusion, "I need you to promise me that this vampire thing will never come between us." I smiled and took her hand, she gasped when she felt the coldness of my skin.

"I promise this 'vampire' thing will never come between us." She stood up and took my other hand, however I released it from her grip and used it to instead cup her face and leant in for a kiss. It felt like fireworks wherever our lips touched and I wanted to stand there all day, but I knew someone would walk past soon, so I pulled away.

"I'll see you later, or Monday perhaps."

"Yeah" I walked off to my room, thinking of Sophia and everything I loved about her.