Chapter 13 - Shattered Image

Caius' POV

Monday morning

I sat in my chair stroking the golden arm and thinking about Sophia's beautiful blue eyes. I had thought about nothing else since Friday, well apart from feeding, and Aro and Marcus were beginning to catch on. I heard a cough beside me and turned to face the crimson eyes of my fellow Volturi leaders.

A "I was wondering whether after what happened on Thursday with Sophia and our dear friend we should tell her about our 'condition'?"

I sat there shocked, it felt as though my head was torn in two, the side telling me it was a good idea to tell her the truth, make sure if she loved me it was for the real me, and the side telling me that if she found out who I really was I would never see her again.

M "She is the first secretary we have had in a long time though who works here for the job, not for the hope of being turned. Telling her could change that completely, we may have to kill her if she refuses to work here afterwards."

I clenched my hand into a fist at the thought of killing Sophia, and unfortunately it didn't go unnoticed.

A "What do you think my dear brother, you have stayed very silent so far, rather unlike you."

C "I think Sophia is working efficiently enough at the moment to warrant not having to be told, however, if anything else happens that may affect her efficiency we must tell her the truth."

We all leant back into our chairs as the sound of footsteps echoed around the building. Sophia had arrived.

Sophia's POV

I nodded to the guard on the door as I walked into the entrance hall feeling as though I belonged here even though it was only my third day working here. I sat down behind my desk and checked my hair in my compact mirror, hoping Caius would be able to see the effort I had put in to my appearance today. Looking the flashing on the computer screen I decided to check the numerous emails that had accumulated over the weekend.

Caius' POV

It was almost 11 o'clock and like usual that meant we had to evacuate the throne room for the tourists to complete their pointless tour. I was on my way to my room, Aro having gone to see Sulpicia and Marcus having taken a walk in the nearby woods, when I heard shuffling further down the corridor. As I followed the noise I was confronted with a lost tourist, however the smell of the blood pumping through their veins bought out the monstrosity in me and I lost all control.

Sophia's POV

I had just finished reading through the list of emails when an image of Caius appeared in my head, but not a comforting image. He was crouched over the dead body of a tourist, blood dripped down his chin, forming a puddle on the floor, and his eyes shone like rubies in the sun.

Shocked from the image I saw I decided to take a break and quickly left my desk, heading for the toilet. I rushed through the corridors, passing numerous antiques and priceless paintings. I spent about 15 minutes gathering myself before coming to the conclusion I was ready to leave the peach coloured stall, however I soon wished I hadn't!