Edward's Story (Prologue I)

20.10.1766 A.C –South Atlantic Ocean

The ship sailed in the unknown seas. Its prow divided the water into two equal sides, forming a path of foam on its way. The sea was motionless and black as coal. And silent, so very silent. The ship itself was quiet as if haunted, not a living soul on it.

That first impression of desolation couldn't have been further from the truth. A hundred people were sleeping in the ship's belly, trying to warm themselves by staying close to each other, hardly escaping death. It was the end of October and the ocean breeze was freezing cold. Behind the veil of darkness, a silhouette could be seen sitting on Argo's deck. A single man, exposed, all by himself.

His name was Edward Canton, the one responsible for this ongoing tragedy. It was ironic really since he'd always thought himself to be an exceptionally smart man. A scientist and a visionary, Edward had only one great ambition: escape his small, English fishing village and start anew in a faraway land.

He studied hard for many years, devouring every book and atlas that fell into his hands, planning his great journey to the glorious land of America. He was mocked and feared by a great number of narrow-minded villagers for his dreams. He only had two allies. His equally brilliant wife, Elizabeth, and his wealthy best friend, Jonathan Lucas.

And indeed, after meticulous and careful planning, their ship set sail on the 15th of August 1766 A.C, destined to reach the coast of North America in about two months. A hundred people were Edward's travel companions. Poor farmers and fishermen, as well as wealthy adventures. Alongside his wife and best friend, as well as his son Jeremy, Edward had felt his chest bursting with pride when Argo, his ship, first opened sail against the setting sun of the afternoon, slowly cruising through the rising waters. There had been laughter then, and cheers. Joy and hope.

But there was no joy, nor hope to be found on Argo anymore. Two months had already gone by, but their only encounter was the eternal calmness of the sea. Edward had tried to think positively and keep his calm amid the slowly rising panic. He couldn't have been wrong. He had been dreaming this journey his whole life, he was destined for it. All the careful planning, the endless reading, and learning. It couldn't have all been for nought.

The last week of the journey, however, had destroyed his good spirits. The rations were as good as gone, and his people were hungry and thirsty, looking like living skeletons. Three nights ago, Edward was sleeping next to Elizabeth, trying to give her some of his valuable warmth. She had woken in the middle of the night, seized by an uncontrollable cough, her hands covering her mouth. When Edward finally looked at her palms, the sight was a nightmarish one. Fresh, crimson blood was all over them, red lines forming on his wife's delicate fingers. And Jonathan, his dear friend, would barely speak anymore, his eyes hollow and ghastly, his body a sack of skin and bones.

The frozen air of the night travelled from his nostrils to his lungs, chilling Edward's very core. He didn't mind. Torturing himself by staying on the unprotected deck was his own choice. It was his punishment, and he deserved it. He had taken those people, friends who were willing to believe in him, from their homes and simple lives and led them straight to a watery grave. Because of a futile ambition. When the tears came, he welcomed them.

Oh, my God. Have mercy on our poor souls. We are all going to perish in that ship, and there is nothing I can do.

***

Edward... Edward... Wake up.

The voice made him realize he had fallen asleep. He had never thought it possible to sleep again before the woman woke him up. At least, he thought it was a woman. He looked left and right, in front and behind. No one to be found. But for some weird reason, he wasn't afraid. He was alone, on a ship sailing through unknown waters. What was the worst thing that could happen? Maybe he was losing his mind. Edward had never believed in God, but maybe a higher power really did exist, and she was a woman after all.