The Final Exam

Rosenberg Financials - 17th September, 200 A.D

The big black van bumped dangerously on its way to the Rosenberg Financials. The beautiful scenery, the lush trees and bushes, combined with the wildness of the desert, took Val's breath away. Of course, even the view wasn't enough to take her mind off her stress.

She turned her head and looked sideways at Amy, who sat on her left side and chattered away happily with Sebastian on the back. If she was nervous, there was not one sign of it on her face.

"So what do you think it's going to be like? Excitement is killing me. I hope we get to beat up a lot of holograms. Let out some steam you know."

"You've beating up holograms the whole month, dude. Just relax a little bit."

John made a sarcastic face in Mike's direction.

"It is kind of infuriating though, the way we have no idea what's going to be like. I can't even get the first group to answer their PAs. Any luck on yours Val?"

"Not really, no. Mandy, Nelson and a bunch of others are completely disconnected. I do think it's the right thing for the Instructors to do, though. We were just too many to be tested on one single day."

"And you have to admit it's the only fair way. I know a bunch of people who picked the second day of the Exams, just so they could cheat from the first day teams. That way we're not allowed to know what's in store for us. They have really thought about it through and through."

John showed a rare admiration in his voice.

"Vanessa is a genius, man."

Amy sulked and turned her back on Seb for the rest of the trip.

Amy's distaste for Vanessa made a whole more lot of sense now that Val knew that she was a Rosenberg. Tom's and Vanessa's relationship was no secret. Being together the same time period Amy had to fake her own death, did not made the situation easier. Still... it wasn't Vanessa's fault that Howard Rosenberg was a cold-hearted bastard.

The van broke down its speed, and the enormous skyscraper came into view. Wavy half-black, half-silver glass, and a gigantic metal R on the side, a sign of high architecture.

"We're sure no cheap people when it comes to power show-off" Amy whispered in Val's ear.

Indeed you are not.

"John?"

He closed his eyes and focused his inner sight on the building in front of them. He opened them again.

"I sense the little hologram points on the higher part of the building, extending in three or maybe four floors. No traps as long as I can sense. Pretty straight forward"

"Alright." said Mike. "Then in we go."

They took up their standard formation, entered the building and were greeted with darkness and silence. Their PAs took off at the same time, making them jump. Sebastian opened his message first. It was Vanessa Rehberg, smiling through the screen at them, real-time.

"Hey, guys. Glad you picked up Rosenberg Financials, since I will be the one to monitor your progress. The exam will take place between the 16th and 19th floor, as John has already guessed, probably."

John nodded, amused.

"All the other floors are off limits, and you are strongly advised not to venture into them. The floors mentioned have a pretty straight forward path for you to follow. The holograms will, in rare cases, try to divert you from your path. Do not pick up a fight in non-designated areas, just let them be. Your suits have a certain red-glowing spot. Can you see it?"

Rising Power (#1 of the Canton Chronicles Series)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara