Falling into the Trap

The girls were smiling happily, as they made their way back to the elevators, wondering what they would tell to the boys.

"The guys will probably be looking for us," Amy said. "I think it's better if we call them..."

She stopped her sentence midway and she screamed as the PA in her hand gave her an electroshock, and got sent miles away from her hand.

Val instinctively took out her own PA and threw it away, before it exploded in her pocket. The lights in the corridor began to flicker, in a very unnatural way. She realized what was happening and felt a sense of pure terror numbing her senses.

Why have I been so stupid?

She knew who was coming, even before the elevator doors opened.

"Amy, look out" Val screamed, but it was too late.

Alice was already in the corridor's entrance, an electrical current in her hand, which she directed at Amy's head. Amy was faster than Alice though, teleporting and landing a few centimetres away from the currents' direction.

"Don't fight her, Amy, run and warn the others!"

Val was screaming at the top of her lungs, but Amy was already on her way, teleporting exactly in front of Alice, ready to punch her in the face. Alice gave her a smug smile, and hit the lamp directly above Amy's head, causing it to fall down.

Amy had just enough time to let out a shriek and teleport to her right, the heavy ceiling-lamp falling on the left side of her head, causing her to collapse on the hard marble floor.

Alice laughed hysterically and raised her hand again, her intention to kill the fallen Amy, but let out a scream, as her body was being pushed back by Val. Her act gave her a few precious seconds to pull her barely-breathing friend's body next to her, with the help of her Power.

Val banged frantically on the closed doors of the dark corridor, her palms wide open, pulling any old piece of equipment and furniture she could find, in order to create a barricade between Alice, her and Amy. She took her friend by the shoulders and shook her up, as Alice started to regain her consciousness.

"Wake up, Amy, for God's sake. We have to get out of here."

Amy was mumbling, refusing to open her eyes.

"You are not going to get away this time, Val. Your friend out of the game. Maybe for good. That will teach her that Alice Green never forgets. I doubt she will have the strength to touch me again."

Alice was once again on her feet and surprisingly calm, walking towards Val, hitting her self-made fortress with electricity.

Val knew what she had to do. One strong hit, and Alice would be a goner. Forever.

And I, a killer. I would be send in the Underground for life. But it is my fault on the first place that Amy was hit.

Amy was fading fast in her arms, and Alice was hitting her with merciless currents, one after the other. Currents destined to kill. Val tried countering them, creating little invisible shields with her palms, but she was already cornered.

I have to hit her. It's me or her.

Val jumped out of her hiding place, her hands already extended, in order to deal with Alice. But it was already too late. She had lost too much time on thinking.

Alice send a quick and powerful electric wave towards the roof, causing the heavy material to collapse on their heads. Val couldn't let Amy alone here to die. She put her right hand above her head, creating a bigger protective shield this time, big enough for Amy and her to fit underneath. But the debris kept coming and coming, as Alice kept hitting.

"You thought I would forget you, Valentine? You were right that very first night at the school. You should have died long ago, rot in that damn Asylum. You were already living in borrowed time. You should actually be happy. But it ends now. I've had enough."

The last thing Val saw was an incredible brightness. Alice was charging, her whole body engulfed in a terrifying ball of lighting. She hit the ceiling with all her strength. The whole roof collapsed on their heads.

And that's how you die. By being an idiot.

***

Val thought death wasn't actually that unpleasant. She felt elevated, somehow. And then she heard the sarcastic, familiar voice behind her.

"That's because you are not dead, idiot."

Val turned her head and faced the girl.

"For the love of the Deities, not you again. Haven't you heard the till death do us part thing? Wasn't slapping me enough? Seriously, leave me alone. I am already being punished for my stupidity."

"You should be actually, since you are being a complete imbecile right now. Open up your eyes, Valentine."

They were sitting in the bench again, facing the beautiful field. Val looked at the girl and saw that her face was now full with frustration and anger.

"What's wrong?"

"Are you going to give up that easily? After all the things Green did to you?"

Val looked at her, flabbergasted.

"She sent a pile of debris on my head. My best friend lies on the floor, almost dead. What am I supposed to do?"

"But the roof still hasn't touched you, Val. Look above."

Val looked up, annoyed and lowered her torso, exclaiming in surprise.

"What the actual fuck?"

The pile of debris was still hanging above her head, but it seemed so far away, like another dimension entirely.

"You can push them away with a single move of your hand, Val. You still haven't realised how strong you are. Do you feel it now at least?"

She did. She felt her whole body pulsating, in a level far greater than the first time, three weeks ago. Like a fire was burning bright inside her.

"I have to go now", Val announced to the black-haired girl, and the girl looked pleased with her decision.

"Good. And Valentine, listen very carefully."

The girl caught her arm really gently, but her hand had incredible strength. "She will come to you, as long as you are in that particular state of mind. She will tell you to kill Green. I know the temptation will be great, but, please, I beg you, don't do it. Resist her. Or else you'll be her plaything forever."

Val nodded, although she didn't have the slightest idea who the little girl meant.

"I won't kill anyone, I promise. Just hurt her really, really bad."

A.N Song: Never Back Down - Two Steps From Hell