A Slip of Mind/Redemption

Ladies of Mercy Hospital-East, 20:00 - 25th September, 200 A.D

The stars were beautifully bright, floating in the dark night sky. It was the beginning of autumn, and the chilling breeze made Amy's skin crawl. She felt the cold creeping up her body, a thin hospital dress her only cover.

Her face felt colder somehow. Amy touched her wet cheeks. Her tears were hot, freezing in her face, looking like little pearl diamonds. She didn't make a sound, didn't scream or shout.

Amy stood still on the roof's ledge, her pain cutting her deep, like a sharp knife. Happiness was an unknown feeling to her, a feeling she didn't deserve. She was sleeping, as her best friend, one of the very few she had all those years, was dying.

It wasn't your fault, the voice of reason whispered to her. You didn't pull the trigger or pushed her over a ledge. Alice Green would be haunting you anywhere you went.

But I made it so easy, so goddamn easy. Instead of calling for help, I charged at her. It was my fault, all along. Everything I touch, dies.

The tears kept coming and coming, no end in sight. An endless cycle of what ifs. What if she didn't want to follow the abandoned trail? What if she didn't want so desperately to see the family files? What if she wasn't so fucking stupid?

The doctor had informed her of Val's death with a professional, matter-of-factly- tone.

"It happened unexpectedly, mrs Wyatt. Maybe the shock of the accident, your comatose state. Who knows? The fact is you are alive and well, and in the course of a few days, you'll be able to go home."

Of course, doc. Life is so fucking amazing, when you're alive and well. But I have no home to go back to. I am a murderer, and there is no love to be found for someone the likes of me.

Amy could already feel them... Poisonous fingers crawling in her skin, under her thin dress, touching her everywhere... everywhere. At least we are here for you, we are going to be with you, always.

A malicious voice in her head laughed. And she laughed with it.

My true friends. Welcome.

***

"What do you mean she is perfectly safe in her room, you pathetic piece of shit? She can teleport!"

Mike was lashing out against the doctor, beating Seb for a few seconds.

"Mind your tongue, young man, everything is under control".

"Do you have a single cell in your brain, you numbskull? You throw Seb, her only friend, out of her room and then tell her that Valentine Stone is dead? How can she be ok? I would have jumped over a window and I am not even close in being sentimental."

John came out of Amy's room. His physician's clearance had allowed him to gain access in the station where Amy was staying.

"She is not in her room", announced John, clearly running out of patience, too.

He faced the doctor, his eyes burning.

"Happy now?"

"I will call the security. We'll begin the search immediately."

The doctor stumbled to the exit and John shook his head.

"They will be too late" said John.

"John, you have to try."

Seb's hands were on his shoulders, his eyes begging.

"Find her, please."

John concentrated hard, sweat coming out of his forehead.