Awakening

The New Academy -19th August, 200 A.D

Val was walking down the wide corridor leading to the Library. She was alone, like most of the time the last few days. The fact didn't normally bothered her, but today her sense of alarm was overwhelming.

A month had already gone by, since their first test of fears. And Val was still Powerless.

As she sat in one of the many chairs with an open book in her lap, her mind raced uncontrollably. The Library was empty, but still she couldn't concentrate to the magical theme "Academy Heroes: Period 50-70 A.D".

She closed the book with an angry thump, and massaged her temples, trying to keep the headache at bay.

The view outside the Library was stunning in the light of the afternoon sun, the forest which surrounded the Academy in full view, its trees shaking lightly in the wind.

A month. A whole fucking month, and still, nothing.

John had his powerful mind-reading. Amy had her teleportation. Sebastian had developed a Power of super-speed, and Mike's body would transform into an impenetrable mix of metal and black-rock, his strength unmatched.

And I am still sitting here reading about the old Heroes. Fuck.

Val knew that her complaints were more or less unfair. Her friends were still her friends, and they were still spending most of their common hours together, studying, training or just having fun talking. But their talks almost always ended up with their Powers, how amazing the feeling of using them was, how naturally it came to them. And Val could only stay silent, trying to feel happy for the four of them, but ending up feeling jealous.

She stood up and, leaving the book at her reading desk, headed to the Library's exit, almost running. She had no intention of learning about old or new Heroes anymore. The halls were all empty, and her heart felt heavy on her chest. Suddenly, Val had a marvellous idea.

The Atrium... The rest of the Powerless might still be there, while the others are occupied with their "special training".

Val turned around and walked away from the Library, reaching a small set of steps. She felt the warmth of sun rays, before she even reached the Atrium's main floor. It was a nice day, one of the last real summer days and when Val finally stood at the rectangular bright white room, seeing the benches all around the small pool standing in the middle, the enormous glass windows exposing the incredible scenery of the forest below, she felt a joy she couldn't quite place.

No wonder most of the people prefer studying here, as in the Library. The people...

Val turned her head left and right, her feeling of uneasiness magnifying by the minute.

Where the hell are the people?

It was then when she heard it. The little weak voice.

"Valentine."

Emma Stone's voice. Poor Emma, she was still one of the few Powerless, just like Val herself. The fact had lead them spending a lot of hours together, either at the Library, or at the Training Rooms. Relieved that she was not completely alone in this world, Val turned to the sound source, but froze before she had taken a full step.

Emma was on the ground, face down, Tobias holding her firmly by the head, Alice looming over her, with Will just a few steps behind, looking sincerely scared of the whole ordeal.

Of course. Of course it would come down to this. Actually, one month of peace was already too much. You thought Alice Green would forget about you?