A Hero's Night Out

"Ok... Who's driving?"

John puffed his chest proudly in a comical, out-of-character gesture. Val knew that part of this ridiculous display was the successful mind control of the poor infirmary doctor, but this was not the only reason. He tried to keep their spirits lifted since plan A had been a failure from the get go.

She looked all around her, from the mystical silence of the ancient, gigantic trees to the unconscious body of the doctor lying hidden in the thick busses overhead. It was a clear starry night, and everyone was on their bed, sleeping. Except them.

Amy was supposed to teleport their company of five to the city centre, one at a time. It was a long shot, and she probably had to stop a few times to concentrate on the road ahead, but she had been certain she'd make it. Except she didn't. Val was the first brave soul to volunteer for the long journey home and fell headfirst into the invisible surrounding wall outside the Academy's forest. Some kind of teleporting barrier, if that was even possible. Turned out, the Instructors had some hidden cards up their sleeves.

"I am driving, John. It's least I can do since my stupid Power decided to bail on me."

Val felt the blonde straining next to her. "It's not your fault, Amy. We had an idea, and it failed. If you come with us, then it's only because you want to. You can turn back and go to sleep."

She had sounded harsher than intended but Amy had truly no reason of coming with them other than her skills. She never talked about family or friends, and had been incredibly hurt when, through their weekly allowed video-call, she discovered that her agent had been a Council employee. She had given her all to the training then, not mentioning the world outside.

But still, she shook her head. "You are a fool if you are thinking you're having all the fun and I am going to sleep."

Mike just rolled his eyes. "We have limited time, even less to lose in the princess' complaints. We are all going together, or not at all."

Amy winked, pleased. With all her sweet charm she turned around, and walked lightly to the convertible, sitting in the driver's seat. The doctor remained asleep under a thick blanket. John had instructed him to sleep the whole night through, and it had already taken up most of his strength. Hopefully, he wouldn't have to use his abilities for the rest of the excursion.

"You think I should be feeling guilty, Valentine?" he asked, as Mike and Seb entered the car.

Val's face remained emotionless. John's Power was not the most moral there was, but... Being a rather immoral being herself, and in dire need of his help, she chose to just smile. Heroes could not always be pure, it seems.

She took his hand in hers. "You did what you had to. We can't back down now. Let's go."

***

The ride to the city was a mesmerizing one. With Seb's guidance through a crudely-made map, Amy drove the company through rough little patches of dirt-road, with the trees' roots claiming part of the path's sides, their branches and leaves brushing the hood and the windows lightly. Sounds and shadows were creeping along the forest's edges, and slowly, the group's uncomfortable silence turn to mischievous giggles and creepy stories. Mike was the cause of most laughs, but the undebatable king of horror was Seb. The way his face and voice distorted in the impersonation of every character, made Val's hair stand out.

Amy's lips were tightened when Seb finished an especially creepy fairy tale about a beautiful young girl leaving in an impregnable tower with shadow guards, her ultimate escape being her death by falling from her own balcony to the abyss below.

"You have a weird imagination, Sebastian."

"I always had to. A kid being alone with nothing else but a huge library needs to find ways to entertain itself."