Restless

Harmony Village – 18th October, 200 A.D

One... slash, two... slash, three... slash, four...slash, five...

The throwing and slashing went on and on, until Val lost count. She was tired from all the training. She was tired of slashing balls in half. She was tired of him.

Her concentration faded for an instant and she missed the ball number 35. Or maybe 36. She wasn't sure anymore. And she didn't care.

"Again" said Henry, sternly.

He was covered in sweat, and only wore a t-shirt and a pair of gym pants, his ripped body a sight for sore eyes.

You are so fucking attractive, White. If only you weren't such a damn perfectionist.

"Henry, I've cut a trillion balls in half. I can't do this anymore. I am tired. And seriously now, who is even going to try to hit me with practice balls?"

Henry faced her, nothing but strain and disappointment in his face.

"This is not about the ball, Valentine, this is about you taking our training seriously. About controlling your mental focus. And yeah, sometimes the enemy hits you with the most unexpected weapon imaginable."

He threw a ball at her, trying to catch her off guard.

You can't surprise me anymore.

She raised her hand and send a small energy wave to the ball. It exploded into million pieces.

"That's not the point of the exercise..."

"Well, I suppose you are right, war veteran", Val interrupted.

"Now, tell me, in how many wars have you fought? No, wars are a little too much. Tell me, how many actual enemies have you fought?"

"The basic principles are the same, war or no war."

Val sighted.

"This is pointless. There is no reasoning with you, Henry, is there? I have reached the highest level possible, just about a week ago. From then on, it's just the same shit every single day. But you still keep me here so I can train more. It's almost like you don't want us to leave this place."

"Us?" Henry said, his voice a low growl.

"Who said about a thing about us?"

Val took a step backwards, instinctively.

"Well, I do. You don't want to spend the rest of your life in a village farm right? Not with your skills. I know, I know... You had problems. We never talk about them, but it's obvious. So did we all at some point. But you can't stay here forever. You are a Negator, and a great teacher, although a pain in the ass sometimes. I think it's about time..."

"I am not going anywhere."

"Henry, you've been here way too long."

"THAT'S NOT FOR YOU TO DECIDE", he shouted, completely outraged.

"There is no US. You know nothing about me, nothing. You think because we spend our nights talking, we've suddenly become friends? You think the problems disappear magically, just like that. You are just a kid."

"I think I'm done with today's practice."

Henry's face mellowed at once.

"I'm sorry..." he started, but it was already too late.

Val turned around and walked outside the barn doors. Instead of going inside the house however, he walked the full perimeter of it, reaching its back side. The one which faced the desert.