The Present

The party was bustling inside the Conference Room. Even behind the heavy closed doors, the music was loud and clear. Mike knocked on the door.

"I don't think that's going to work, Mike. I doubt if they can even hear us,"

"Password?"

Mike was enraged at the AI's voice.

"We organised the party, you idiot. Why do we even need a password?"

Seb went in front of the door, saying with a soft sensual voice

"I have the boose".

The door opened up slowly and Nelson came out laughing.

"Gee, Mike do you always have to be so hot-headed? Seb has the right approach."

They high-fived, leaving Mike rolling his eyes.

"So are we going inside now or what?"

The boys proceeded, excited. Val was the last one of the group, so Nelson stopped her briefly by catching her arm gently.

"Are you ok, Val?"

"Yeah, I guess. I try not to think about it too much."

"We'll make sure it won't happen again. We are together on this."

"Thanks, Nelson. I really appreciate it."

She followed him to the centre of the party, admiring the decoration of the Chamber. Blue flashing lights on the ceiling and the pillars, tables full with alcohol and snacks all around the pillar circle, leaving room for dancing in the centre of the room. The podium was re-constructed as a small stage, waiting for Amy to fill it with her presence.

Suddenly, Mandy jumped out of nowhere and hugged Val tightly, giving her a heart attack.

"I am soooooo glad you're still alive, Val! Jesus, when Emma came to find us, we all thought you were dead. Oh, sweet God."

She was slightly drunk, crying from joy, but Val appreciated the contact too much to push her away.

"Everything is ok, Mandy. Let's just forget about this."

Emma was the next to hug her, red and embarrassed.

"You saved my life once again."

"And you mine. But I sincerely hope that's the end of our mutual rescuing."

"We are on the look-out now, girls. There is no need for worry."

John was once again with Val, his hand sliding around her waist. It was a nice feeling, a mix of awkwardness and longing.

"Can I borrow you for a second, Valentine?"

She followed him on a secluded corner, behind the shadows of the pillars. Amy had just appeared on stage, flashed but utterly happy, singing with her amazing voice. Mike was already spinning Emma on the dancefloor, foolishly drunk. Seb was looking at Amy with a warm passion.

Val took a big sip of her beer and turned her head on John, meaning to tell him something. She saw him looking directly at her eyes, his expression a mystery.

"What's wrong, John?"

He blushed.

"Nothing, Valentine. It was a party like this when we first met, right down to Amy singing. I just... I hope you are not still afraid of me."

"Is that why you are looking at me like that? You still think I am afraid of you?"

"No. I just think... you are really pretty tonight."