Fates Collide

Harmony Village – 18:00, 17th September, 200 A.D

Chop, chop, chop... The clanking sound of cutting wood. Henry White was getting better at it. His long-gone strength was slowly returning to his body. He actually loved the feeling, considering he thought himself to be long gone just forty days ago.

His father always told him that he could measure his real strength and discipline by household activities, like tending the garden or cutting wood for the fire. Henry always thought that it was his father's excuse to make him do the chores. But now, as he chopped the old wrinkled tree down to pieces, he really did feel strong and disciplined.

A strange melancholy came with the memory of his father. Not so much of the fact of his death, just of how huge of an asshole Henry had been at the time. I never even went to his grave after the funeral. I must do it one of these days. It's time I got my life in line again. One step at a time.

After his old friends' visit, Vanessa's attack and Guido's final words, Henry did something he hadn't done in a long time. He thought long and hard about his situation. He had no use to anyone dead, or half-dead from drugs. But the Academy was open again, and he had been a good fighter and occasionally, teacher, at his time. So maybe, just maybe, he was of some use to people alive.

He slept on those thoughts, and as sweet release came along with sleep, Henry had another dark, almost forbidden thought.

Maybe someone is strong enough to beat Aurelia at last.

It wasn't an easy road, fighting off the addiction in his system. There were restless days with endless vomiting, sweating, cursing Gods and men alike, and nights with nightmares so intense, that he would wake up with his pillow all wet from tears, screaming like a wounded animal.

And then a day came, when Henry didn't wake up screaming. He was so exhausted, and for the first time after a very long while, he'd slept soundly and he had appetite, real appetite for breakfast. With every bite and every sip of water, he felt better, more conscious, alive like a real person again, leaving behind his former shadow of a self.

After a couple days of eating, drinking and enjoying his dreamless, clean sleep, Henry thought it was time to do what he feared most of all.

Pick up his staff once again. Train to be a warrior once more. Slowly but steadily he found his lost fighting moves, and felt at last, complete. He trained every day, waking up his muscles, freeing them from the poisonous effect of the drugs and alcohol. He'd gained a lot of healthy weight and almost all of his lost physical strength.

Henry still had a few things to take care of. His father's grave was one thing. His wife's another, but the mere thought of her hurt him deeply, even now with a clear consciousness. Fixing his relationship with Vanessa was also a great priority.

One thing at a time, he thought, and continued with his sacred chores.

He was lying on his couch, listening to the rain, watching a silly TV-show and eating his unhealthy chips snacks (he worked really hard that day, he deserved it, he said to himself again and again, mildly guilty), when he heard a rapid banging on the door and unconsciously, went to open it.

The sight of Vanessa wet to the bone and totally restless, standing in his doorstep, did surprise him.

"Henry, can I come in? It's an emergency".

He ushered her inside, and then returned in a hurry with a warm towel. He put the towel around her shoulders in an awkward hugging gesture, but Vanessa didn't seem to mind. Instead she looked up at him, a quizzical look on her face.