The Ties That Bind

John sat on a comfortable chair inside the Instructor's' office, with Vanessa Rehberg facing him from the other side of her desk.

"You seem a little troubled, John."

John looked back at her, his eyes shining behind his glasses. "I think it's because of this office. So dark and serious. It feels like an interrogation room."

Vanessa smiled apologetically. "I am sorry. I have a thing for bleak and secretive working environments. I think it counters my overexposed Tower office."

Indeed, the Instructor's office was scarcely lit and, combined with the black and grey colours, kind of depressing.

"Don't let the decor put you down, John. I still want to congratulate you. You are the first one obtaining a Power after a hundred years, and so fast. Like you've always known you had it, somehow."

John held his breath, trying to look as calm as possible, under Vanessa's observing eyes.

If you only knew.

But maybe she did know. Maybe that's why he was here, sitting opposite her. The Council had spied on them for the past six months, not to mention their files and records prior. It was not hard for Vanessa to put two and two together. She was certainly speculating. The question lingered in the air.

How? How did you do it? How did you know?

John smiled politely and answered, without waiting for her question. "I always had an increased sense of perception. For my environment, the people I met. And when I entered the room, I just knew. I knew I could bend the monster, and the crowd, to my will."

This simplified version of events was not far from the truth, visions and dreams aside. But he wasn't going to share his most well-hidden secret with a Canton official. At least not until he was completely certain about her intentions.

"Then impress me. Show me your power of perception."

John reached for his pocket, put his hand in and when he took it out, a beautiful rose was there. "For you, my lady".

Vanessa wasn't ready for this sort of affectionate display. Her reaction was so sincere, as she let her guard down for a moment, that John felt sad for her.

Unwilling, but plagued from curiosity, he tested his newly found Power by taking a mere glimpse in the woman's mind. John saw a man there, one he immediately recognised. Everyone in Canton knew who the man was. John withdrew from Vanessa's mind once the memories started getting too intimate. He had no intention of watching Canton's highest authority figure on his underpants, or without them.

Not an easy thing, being in love with your boss.

Vanessa took the flower in her hand. "Thank you. I hope you are popular amongst girls because you sure deserve to be."

He was moved by her words, thinking about his own chaotic feelings.

"You are free to go now, John. Go celebrate with your friends. I am sure they'll also receive their Powers shortly. You are a strong bunch. All of the candidates are, in fact."

John smiled and got up from his chair. His hand was on the door handle when Vanessa asked a peculiar question.

"What's the name of your friend? Not the Wyatt girl. The other one. With the blue eyes."

John was surprised by the question. "Valentine. Why?"

Vanessa cleared her throat, her tone cautious. "Her performance was really impressive today."