A Test of Fears (I)

The Training Ground was, in fact, nothing more than a large rectangular area made of three-quarters metal and one quarter thick glass. The ceiling was full of led lights and the floor was made of thin silver ceramic. Against the inner wall laid a big screen designed for the ones watching the process of "whatever-the-hell" was about to go down inside the room. The screen flashed brightly as everyone reached the transparent display, taking their sits in the metallic benches outside.

"So, this is where your first test will take place", Peter announced. "The names will appear in a random order so that everyone gets an equal chance at competing. It's not going to last longer than 5 minutes per person, I guarantee you that."

Some people laughed, but it was a nervous laughter.

"Damn, are they all edgy" whispered John, standing right next to Val.

"They damn well should be. Just go in there and face what lays inside. What kind of instruction is this? And why is Smith smiling all the time like he is on drugs? Weird shit, man" replied Mike, sweating.

Amy raised an eyebrow. "I thought you eager to start with the training?"

Mike narrowed his eyes and gave her a threatening look.

"Today, only half of you are going to be tested, which is going to probably take up most of the day. Maybe we're lucky and have some early epiphanies."

Peter finished his sentence and smiled again. The girls in the back chuckled.

"Gee, he is a married man, at least show some respect to his wife", said Seb.

"I think his wife is used to it, Sebastian" Amy noted. "Besides, he clearly likes the attention."

"Don't we all?" said Val, quietly.

"There is not really any advice I can give you. You go in there and show them, who's the boss. There is nothing to be afraid of. Guido and Beth will monitor your progress."

They all turned their heads to see the twins sitting in the far-left corner, a little higher than the rest of the crowd.

"The Wrestling pros are going to monitor my progress? Phew, now I can totally lay back and relax, can't I?" Mike said, nervous.

Val smiled sympathetically. "We are just going to have to impress them, Mike."

"Let the trials begin!"

It was time. Val waited for the first name to appear. Her eyes searched instinctively for Alice. That bitch loved harassing people in the middle of a large crowd, where everyone could watch. She was out of reach for the time being, in one of the room's corners, looking hungrily at the screen, eyes gleaming with lust.

And that person gets a power. Makes me wonder about our Deities' way of thought.

"Nelson Blackwell."

The VI announced the first of the candidates. Everyone fell dead silent, looking left and right, waiting for the first contestant to come on stage. With his unsteady step and sweating palms, Nelson came forward and entered the Training Ground through a small automatic door on the right.

"Nelson", exclaimed Val surprised before she even thought about it.

"You know him, Valentine?" asked John.

"Yeah... he is a friend. Mandy's boyfriend to be exact."

"She has a boyfriend?" Mike said, totally surprised. "I would have never guessed... you know, from her behaviour and all."