The Past

"It's it already late, John. Maybe she is not coming. It was too much of a shock. I'm telling you, we should go look for her."

Mike was talking impatiently, and feeling impatient too. A few hours had passed since Val was released from the Instructor's office, going straight to her room instead of talking to them. They had all been waiting in the roof ever since, waiting until she was ready to talk.

"She'll come, Mike. Just wait a little bit longer. It was a long day for all of us. Too much to ... digest, know what I mean?"

Sebastian tried to be cautious with his words, as to not enrage Mike any further. And we wasn't the only one enraged.

"When I see Green, I am going to strangle her with my own hands. You wait and see."

Amy murmured with a cold-blood, calculating voice.

"It's a miracle, if Val wants to see us again. We left her all alone."

John felt a pinch of guilt at Amy's words. They had all been way too absorbed with their Powers, the last few days. Besides, Valentine was always so strong and confident. She was the one taking the weaker teammates under her wing, teaching them combat moves. She didn't need anyone's help, did she?

I said I'll take care of her. And I failed.

He sighted, and then felt a soft stimuli in his brain. He turned around and smiled instinctively.

Val came out of the shadows, dressed in a simple black T-shirt and purple silk night-shorts. She smiled at them, a sad apologetic smile, as they all stood up to greet her.

Amy was to first to hug her, giving her a moment's warmth before Mike's arms took over.

"I am sorry, sweetheart."

"We all are."

The regret was deep in Sebastian's voice.

The knot in his throat wouldn't let John speak.

We are all self-absorbed idiots.

"There is nothing to be sorry about. You had your own thing going on, Powers, special training, all that. I had nothing to discuss, nothing to participate with."

"Val, don't say that. We are a team. We are supposed to be here for each other..."

"Are we?"

The four of them looked at her, red and ashamed.

"I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable, neither blame you. And I really do like you all. For the first time, after a long time, I didn't feel completely alone. And it's not like you don't care for me. You told me to be careful and I told you everything is going to be fine. And then suddenly it wasn't."

She sighted and looked at the stars above her.

"Valentine, listen..." John started talking but Val hushed him by raising her hand.

"But... you were too pre-occupied with your Powers, and I was too pre-occupied with my jealousy. Fact is... I want to be friends with you. And there can be no friendship based on lies... I was the one Alice Green was after, all along."

The surprised gasp from all four was in unison.

"I've known Alice Green my whole life. Hell, we were even at primary school. I'm not going to lie. She was always a sadistic bitch, torturing whatever she could find, from animals to classmates. Her father is a Counsellor, so she was never punished. But, we kind of understood each other. And, for some weird reason she never tried to hurt me, and that was good enough for me."