Gathering

"Just Dance" Club, 1:30 21st July, 250 A.D

Vanessa Rehberg stood in the middle of the "J.D", amidst the few unconscious bodies that remained on the ground. Most of the kids were already being carried with their black vans in the Mansion. She couldn't shake the word kids, even though they were practically adults. In her mind, they were just a bunch of spoiled brats.

And, to them, you are just an ancient fossil. She shook her head as to avoid her thoughts and focused on her task ahead.

"How many still left?" she asked her workers.

"Not many now, Mrs Rehberg. We'll be ready within the next thirty minutes."

"Good. Thank you."

Putting them to sleep was surely crude and tasteless, but it was the only way to carry them all in one piece, safe, sound and in absolute secrecy. The way Tom wanted it. Of course, the High Counsellor was now at his apartment, admiring the world from above, far away from this mess. And she had to be here, in the middle of the night, making sure everything was going according to schedule.

No one was allowed to know where the kids were going. The excuse given to the parents was that their children were chosen to take part in a Council-program for the exceptionally gifted, a high honour really.

And when those kids were powered up, properly trained and obedient, she would present them to the world, proudly. The Hero Team, her team, ready to face every threat in Canton, making the citizens forever grateful. Vanessa smiled cunningly.

They're not your property, they're real people, her voice of reason whispered in her mind.

Still, a little personal recognition wouldn't hurt anybody. And maybe, just maybe, when the whole ordeal was over, she could also stay in a high-rise apartment with a city-centre view, like the High Counsellor was.

The phone rang.

"Speak of the Devil, Tom."

"You've been thinking of me? I am honoured."

There was a sad sweetness in Tom's voice, and Vanessa felt her heart skip a beat. But she knew better than to answer his question.

"I am sorry, Vanessa. How is it going down there? Are you already done?"

"No, we still need half an hour or so, until everyone is transported safely. How are you holding up, Tom? Are you overly-excited about this?"

"Our first attempt to reunite with the Deities and receive their Powers after a hundred and twenty years? Pretty excited, I would say. In fact, I just look at the view and wish you were here..."

Don't do this. Not now.

"Tom, I think you've had enough to drink for one night."

There was an uncomfortable silence for a second.

"I am sorry, Vanessa. It's just that we barely even talk outside the Tower and..."

"That's because we are partners, Tom. You are High Counsellor Rosenberg and I am your assistant".

And the days we were something more are over.

She looked at the door, having heard the footsteps.

"I have to leave you now, the rest of the team is here. Goodnight."

Without waiting for his answer, Vanessa hung up the phone. She turned around and saw the four of them walking towards her. She smiled heartily and hugged everyone in turns. She had missed them so much.

Peter and his wife Priscilla, and the Fayde twins, Guido and Beth. The five of them had grown up together, raised together. Vanessa appreciated deeply each and every one of them. She couldn't have picked any other team to help her train the little brats.

"Vanessa, baby! You look amazing even at this hour! The Council suits you." Beth Fayde approached her with quick steps and hugged her tightly.

Vanessa smiled and turned to look at Beth's twin brother, Guido. Silent and with a deadly look on his face, Guido Fayde looked far more intimidating than his sister. In all truth, he was a sweet and deeply intuitive man. In a rare sight of affection, he smiled at Vanessa and touched her cheek lightly.

"We came to you as soon as we got the call, Vanessa. I guess I don't have to tell you, you nearly gave us a heart attack. What a crazy-freaking-story. The Academy of Heroes opening again? Ready to share new tales of glory? It will be our honour to help."

Peter spoke with his usual enthusiasm, making everyone's head turn. Priscilla nodded like a happy chirping bird at his side, her eyes shining and Vanessa couldn't help but smile.

"That's great, Peter. As long as we don't have to deal with Wagner and his army of undead Claymen for the second time in this century."

They all looked frightened for a second, despite their usual courageous spirit.

"Sorry. I really don't want to be a party-breaker. And besides, a reunion is the best thing that could have happened right now, seriously. I hope I am not getting you out of your programs, guys."

"Everything is under control, Vanessa. A change of environment is always refreshing." Beth smirked mischievously, under her brother's stern look.

"And I hope your little monkey isn't mad at me for taking her parents away from her for a while, right?" Vanessa addressed the Smiths, having their five-year-old daughter in mind.

"She can stay with her grandparents for a few weeks, Vanessa. It's no big deal. She knows she has to be strong for Auntie."

"Perfect. You'll get more info on the matter back in the car. Just follow me."

They started walking again, but Guido lingered behind for a second, grasping Vanessa's arm lightly.

"Someone is missing from the team. I am pretty sure I am not the only one to have noticed."

Vanessa stopped right at her heels. She'd had a foolish hope that the subject of their missing partner wouldn't be mentioned at all, but couldn't have been more wrong. The others turned their heads and looked at her questioningly.

I am not going to feel guilty for your sorry ass, Henry.

"He is not coming. It's just the five of us".

Guido nodded his head in agreement.

"Fair enough".

And they started again, silent, to the exit of the club and the beginning of a new era.