Cackle

This art was created by TransformiceGurl on deviantART. Once again, my friend, thank you for the lovely fanart. 

The rest of the mission passed on without much note. I found myself oddly subdued and contemplative for the rest of the mission, and unusually clingy to Naruto as well. Naruto didn't seem to mind, and if I didn't know any better, I would've said he was just as clingy—going so far as to stand guard when I had to use the bathroom, even though Kakashi had assured us that the area was safe multiple times.

When we came back to Konoha, we went straight to the Hokage's office, gave our debriefs, took our forms to fill out our mission report, grabbed our A-Rank pay, and went our separate ways. Kakashi only told us to meet together again for the usual routine.

Naruto and I headed straight home to tend to our plants (even though Grandfather assured us that he had taken care of them, we liked being cautious). After a while, though, we acknowledged our need for groceries, so I opted to head out, casting a small henge over myself to buy them.

After I had my groceries—six full bags worth—I released my henge, and continued on my way.

"M-Miwako-san?"

I paused, my spine involuntarily stiffening from the familiar voice.

Slowly, I turned around and found myself staring at Sakura, with Ino as well. The two girls' appearances had changed little; the only exception being found in Ino's hitai-ate, a hitai-ate that Sakura no longer wore.

That's right, I thought softly. I... I stole her place, didn't I?

I wasn't sure how I felt about that. Part of me didn't care—so long as I was with my brother, it didn't matter whose team I ended up on. Another part of me felt a little bad; she was one of the original main protagonists. Even if she wasn't my favorite, I didn't dislike her either.

I liked her at some point in Shippuden, in fact. And a tiny, tiny part of me felt a little satisfied. Not that I had stolen her place, but in the fact that she failed where I succeeded. I didn't like how she had behaved in the academy. How she treated my brother, and how she treated me.

But it was a small part that was largely ignored.

"Sakura-san, Ino-san," I greeted, my voice guarded. "I wasn't aware of you two being on speaking terms again."

To her credit, Sakura gave a sheepish smile, blushing brightly. "We... I... I failed my final Genin exam and was really down in the dumps... Ino bumped into me and..."

"I could see that Forehead needed my help," Ino picked up. "Even if... Even if we haven't been the greatest of friends the past while, she's still my friend and I do care about her."

"I see," was all I said.

"I'm actually in the medical-corps now," Sakura said shyly. "My sensei noticed my superb chakra control, and suggested that I either specialize in medical-ninjutsu or genjutsu. But I would have to go back to the academy another year if I wanted to specialize in genjutsu, where if I entered the medical-corps, I could start directly training there, and work at the hospital right away."

I stared at her. "Good for you."

Sakura and Ino exchanged glances, both a little disappointed.

Sakura stepped forward, clearing her throat. "I know... we haven't been on the best of terms at the academy. But talking with Ino... being friends with Ino again made me reopen my eyes a bit. I was... mean to you. I'm sorry."