Still Aren't Happy

(Flashback)

Tsunade pursed her lips as she looked over the charts again. I barely spared her a glance, my eyelids droopy as I continued to stare blankly out the window. Sasame was besider her, peering over her shoulder to read the charts.

After a moment, Tsunade placed the charts back at the end of the bed and looked up at me. "I know this is hard for you, Miwako, but... I don't want you to lose hope."

Slowly, I dragged my eyes back over to meet hers.

Tsunade gave me a faint smile. "If I could, I would teach you my regeneration technique, but that would take years. Ever still, this idea might take just long, but... At least it doesn't run the risk of shortening your life span."

"What are you... talking about?"

"Have a little faith in this village, Miwako. We aren't as heartless as you think," Tsunade teased.

(End Flashback)

('・ω・')

"Everyone still alright to continue?" I asked, eyeing each member of the group. No one objected, so I continued, "We'll have to pursue them. They were such a hassle to find the first time, I'm afraid if we don't pursue them now, they'll just escape. We have enough members... so let's split into three groups. Yamato and Sasuke should stay with Hinata and wait for her recovery. Naruto, Shino, Kiba and Kakashi will be the second group, and I'll go alone."

I had Sasuke and Yamato stay with Hinata, because while I knew she was far from done, she was still too weak at this point to properly defend herself. Yet I couldn't spare so many people, so I had to choose the two I trusted the most with this task. Yamato and Sasuke were more than capable of taking care of any unwanted visitors.

"Alone?" Naruto echoed, frowning. "Miwako-chan, do you really think that's a good idea, considering the enemy?"

I shook my head. "I'm not tracking them. Besides... since Kakashi-sensei got here, I'm technically not leader of this mission anymore."

Naruto's brow furrowed and he opened his mouth to ask -

She's giving the orders because Kakashi hasn't assumed command, yet, Kurama's voice echoed in my head and I knew he was speaking to both of us. Kakashi isn't assuming command because this is her second chance. But, right now Miwako needs to check something out and is indirectly switching leadership over to Kakashi. Hence why she's splitting up the groups.

"Why are you going alone?" Hinata asked hesitantly.

I pursed my lips and looked over at Kakashi. "... There's something I need to check out. I think I know why Guren may be here, but I can't be sure. I need to confirm it and it would be... safer... if I went alone."

Kakashi's visible eye narrowed at my emphasis on safe. "I understand."

"Alright," Sasuke said, seeming to understand the implication, and he moved to stand beside Hinata. Yamato cocked his head.

"I don't get it," Kiba said.

Naruto shook his head. "It doesn't matter, now."

"Then we'll go ahead and head home," Gamakachi said. Naruto glanced at his toad summons, grinning at them.

"Aa. See you next time we need your help," Naruto said.

"I'm heading home, too, Miwako-chan, Kakashi," Pakkun said.

I glanced down at my favorite ninken, kneeling in front of him and placing a hand on his head. "Aa. Thank you, precious one."

In a puff of smoke, all the summons had disappeared.