Red Flash

This fanart was made by Razsuls on deviantART. Thank you, again!

We had run into Temari along our way to Sunagakure and the seven of us continued the journey together. It took us a full day to arrive at the village and the moment we did a Suna Jounin informed us of Kankurō's state. Heading straight to the hospital and after a brief confrontation with Chiyo, Sakura and Sasame set to work on Konkurō while the rest of us waited outside.

"... We don't have time to really dwell on Kankurō," I said to the tense silence. "Sakura-chan and Sasame-chan can take care of him, but we need to begin discussing our plan of action to go after Gaara-kun."

"She's right," Naruto growled.

"I've already sent Pakkun out to try and find Gaara's trail. It will take time," Kakashi consoled. "And it's already late. We won't be able to do anything more when night sets in."

"Then we'll just leave at first light," Sasuke decided.

"I want to go with you," Temari said. "Gaara is my brother and I know these deserts. It would be best if you had at least one Suna shinobi with you."

"We might need all the help we can get," I agreed. "I don't have a problem with it."

"Fine," Kakashi replied.

"Now hold on, you youngsters," Chiyo said softly, "Temari, you will be needed here. The village is already at a weak point and they need a strong leader."

"Then Baki can stay here and I will go, council be damned," Temari insisted.

"I think she should go with us," I supported. "We're most familiar with Temari-senpai and she knows how we work."

"But it will take more than just one fresh kunoichi to bring back our Kazekage from the Akatsuki."

"We can do it just fine," Naruto snapped.

"I'll go with you," Chiyo decided.

"No," Sasuke dismissed immediately. "We don't need some old hag slowing us down."

"Sasuke-kun," I reprimanded before turning to eye Chiyo, "I think Chiyo-sama should come with us. You mentioned you were familiar with one of the Akatsuki members, right? So that should prove useful. Besides, Sasuke-kun, this is her family reunion. You won't deny her that, right?"

Sasuke eyed Chiyo, his face utterly blank. "... Fine, but don't slow us down."

"Wouldn't dream of it, cheeky-brat," Chiyo laughed.

The door to the ER opened and Sakura stepped out, smiling. "He should be fine. We were able to come up with the correct antidote in time, he's weak, but he'll be back up to speed in no time."

"Thank you," Temari said, clear relief in her voice.

Baki exited the ER as well, eying all of us. "We will have rooms prepared. Which one of you is the commander?"

Kakashi stood up from his chair. "That would be me. We already have a plan in mind, but it would be best if we had your permission first."

"Of course," Baki returned smoothly.

('・ω・')

Just as the first rays of light touched the desert floor, the eight of us were headed out. Pakkun had successfully managed to nab the first scent and guided it out to me, and with that, I was able to lead us in the tracking while Kakashi sent Pakkun back to Konoha to inform them of what was going on.

Hours passed by as we ran. There were conversations being held behind me, but I was so entirely focused on Gaara's scent, that I didn't hear them. It wasn't long before we had to stop dead in our tracks when a new scent presented itself to me.