Was Him

"Royal flush," Naruto said pleasantly, placing his cards down to the floor. Sasuke and I both groaned in unison as Naruto won yet another game of poker. As Naruto hoarded the makeshift chips—candy and other treats we had managed to snag at the tower in the past four days—Sasuke and I exchanged glances.

"I'd accuse you of cheating, but both Miwako and I shuffled the deck and you let me play with my Sharingan activated. I would have seen you cheating," Sasuke muttered dryly, staring accusingly at Naruto.

Naruto just gave us a foxy grin, unabashed by Sasuke's ruffled temper. "Heh."

"Another round?" I asked.

Before either boy could reply, there was a soft knock at our door. The door opened, revealing Kakashi. My eyes lit up at seeing our sensei and my lips twisted into a bright smile. "Shisho!"

Kakashi gave me an eye-smile. "Maa. Everyone needs to gather: bottom floor, room three."

"Hai," we chorused.

Kakashi smiled again at us before he flickered away. The three of us exchanged glances before we hurried behind him.

('・ω・')

"... And so now, we shall start the preliminary matches. The computer will now randomly select two names," Hayate said, coughing slightly towards the end.

The Genin all looked up at the computer screen and I shifted nervously. I hadn't caught sight of Orochimaru, but that didn't necessarily mean he wasn't there. Everyone who had originally made it to the preliminary matches was here.

The screen flickered to life, and it wasn't long before two names popped up.

Nara Shikamaru

Vs.

Kankurō

I blinked at that, surprised. My eyes trailed down to the arena as both boys moved into it.

Wait... so the preliminary matches were actually randomized?

Probably for most of the matches. But I can almost guarantee that there was at least one rigged match.

... The Hinata / Neji one?

Undoubtedly.

Probably. Still, it's surprising to see this turn of events. I'm curious to see who will win.

I already know who will win.

Who?

Isn't it obvious? Kankurō is far too arrogant at this stage, too conceited. Not to mention his tactics are hardly any good, or at least good enough. Whereas Shikamaru...

I see your point. I would have guessed Shikamaru as well, but it would have been a reflexive guess as it would be a little weird for him to not face Temari in the tournament.

Hmph.

Naruto tugged at my hand, pulling me away from my thoughts and dragging me up the stairs. Shikamaru was a little battered from his time in the forest, but his team had managed to make it in a full day before the preliminaries, so he was probably okay. Shikamaru let out a small sigh while Kankurō openly sneered at him.

"Kick his ass, Shikamaru!" Ino shrieked from her place not too far from us. In fact, she was kind of inching closer. Sasuke was quick to notice this, as he forcibly moved Naruto between him and her.