I Smiled

(Flashback)

Tsunade pursed her lips as she looked over the charts again. I barely spared her a glance, my eyelids droopy as I continued to stare blankly out the window. Sasame was beside her, peering over her shoulder to read the charts.

After a moment, Tsunade placed the charts back at the end of the bed and looked up at me. "I know this is hard for you, Miwako, but... I don't want you to lose hope."

Slowly, I dragged my eyes back over to meet hers.

Tsunade gave me a faint smile. "If I could, I would teach you my regeneration technique, but that would take years. Ever still, this idea might take just long, but... At least it doesn't run the risk of shortening your life span."

"What are you... talking about?"

"Have a little faith in this village, Miwako. We aren't as heartless as you think," Tsunade teased.

I flushed. "Y-You are not, Tsunade-sama... n-none of my friends are."
"Mn. And neither are the mass kunoichi in this village," Tsunade said.

"What are talking about? What's your... what's your idea?"

"It may not happen every day, but it does happen often enough. Because you are a jinchūriki, with your unique regenerative rate and ability to transform lethal poisons into harmless vitamins, you can receive any blood type. And while not all kunoichi choose to take a path without their... reproductive system... it still happens."

"Are you... are you implying...? But... can that even be done...?"

"It would be a first," Tsunade admitted, "but I believe it would work, especially considering your jinchūriki status and healing capabilities."

"But who would want...?"

Tsunade smiled. "Just have a little faith, Miwako."

I had to resist sneering; forcing my face to morph into cool indifference. "I understand, Tsunade-sama."

But I do not agree.

"A-Ano..." Sasame said hesitantly, flushing. "I... I, um..."

The door to my room flew open as Ino marched in, hands on her hips and carrying a basket of various goodies. "Alright, don't worry, Miwako-chan! Ino's here to save the day with chocolate."

I smiled.

(End Flashback)

('・ω・')

I flexed my fingers, my back pressed against the wooden wall in our apartment. Naruto was still sound asleep, and would still be sleeping for another couple of hours, but I had awoken far too early and couldn't get back to sleep.

Oi.

I closed my eyes, slipping into the seal. Without hesitation, I entered the cage and cocked my head. This time, the landscape was that of a vast ocean. Kurama was spread out on the sand, and the sun was bright above us. It beamed down on us, warming me. I could taste the salt and feel the warm grains of sand beneath my bare feet.

"What is it, Kurama?" I asked.

Kurama opened a single eye, staring down at me with his red gaze. "Naruto will be learning the Sage Arts soon enough."

"... I... I suppose so."

"You aren't," Kurama informed me.

"I'm not?"

"No. You aren't. We both know that. Which is why I called you here," Kurama said. "When Naruto leaves for the Mountain... I want you to leave Konohagakure, too. However, only you may come along."