twenty-two

Monday soon came and I hadn't talked to anyone. I'm sure Grayson was worried sick but I just didn't have the energy to care.

I got up and got ready for school, dressing in a t-shirt and Nike shorts. I grabbed a jacket because I would be walking to school since I hadn't been talking to Grayson my.

As I walked out the front door I saw Grayson's car Parker in my driveway and I smiled to myself.

"I could have walked." I say, getting in the car.

"Yeah, but I would never let that happen."

I put my seatbelt on and smiled. He could make me smile even when my world is falling apart.

"I'll tell you what happened later." I say, answering a question he never asked.

"You don't have to-"

I cut him off. "But I want too."

He opened his mouth, about to say something but quickly shut it, knowing he wouldn't win this.

-

The school day dragged on. Every class felt like it was a couple hours long. Finally the last bell rang and I was beyond relieved.

I met up with Grayson at his locker and we decided to go get ice cream so we could talk.

We walked into a small ice cream parlor that was near school, the bell on the door jingling as it opened.

"Ella!" Beth, the owner said from behind the counter. I used to come here a lot and I knew her pretty well.

I smiled at her and walked up to the counter. I had never been here with Grayson and she had yet to meet him.

Her eyes moved from me over to Grayson and she looked him up and down.

"Who's this?" She asks, probably already knowing the answer.

Beth was 68 years old and she was like most people her age, very nosey. I had known her ever since I was in 6th grade because my mom was pretty close with her.

"This is Grayson, my boyfriend." I say, smiling.

"Awe, so adorable!" She said clapping her hands excitedly.

I felt my cheeks blush at the thought of him. He introduced himself to Beth and he was so polite. Not that I didn't expect it but it made me happy.

"Okay well I'll get the usual, and Grayson will have the same." I say, knowing we had the same favorite ice cream flavor.

When we got our ice cream we went and sat at table in the corner of the store, away from the very few customers that were here.

As we sat down he started eating his ice cream right away.

"My mom left." I tell him, playing with a bracelet I had on my wrist.

He looked up at me. "What??" He asked with a mouth full of ice cream.

"Yeah my dad told me. I don't know where she is."

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry." He says reaching over and grabbing my hands in his.

I closed my eyes to stop the tears from falling. I was strong most of the time, but some things are just so hard.

"Everything will be okay. I know it's so hard to believe that right now but I promise you that they will."

I opened my eyes and looked into his. The look in his eyes gave me comfort. He was serious. Maybe it won't all get better, but I know that through the dark time he'll always be by my side.

I leaned across the table and pressed my lips to his. After a couple seconds I pulled away and sat back in my chair.

"Thank you." I say, picking up my spoon to eat my ice cream.

"You don't need to thank me."

"You're just amazing and I want to thank you."

"And you are too, so much more amazing than I am. You have been through so much and you manage to stay so perfect."

He was so cheesy but that's one of the things I loved about him. "You are perfect too."

I could tell he didn't believe me, and it made me sad. I wanted him to love himself as much as everyone else loves him.

We both finished our ice cream and Grayson stood up, holding his hand out to me. "Lets go, we can have a movie marathon."

I smiled, taking hand and being pulled up by him.

As we left Beth waved at us, winking at me.

At Grayson's house we had the movies sprawled out over the whole floor.

"I can't pick." I sighed. I had been looking through the movies for at least ten minutes and I was struggling.

He laughed, closing his eyes and putting his finger on a random one which happened to be Pitch Perfect. I admit I love this movie but I have seen it way too many times.

"This good?" He asks me, holding it up.

I smile and nod. I didn't care about the movie, as long as I was with him, I was fine.

We cuddled up on the couch, turning the movie on. Every now and then I would turn toward him and peck him on the lips or his cheek or we would do the same to me. Just little things like this make me so happy.

Soon enough I started to fall asleep. Grayson turned the tv off and picked me up bridal style, carrying me upstairs.

"You didn't have to do that." I say quietly, pulling his blankets over me.

He pulled the blankets over him too, pulling my body closer to his. "I wanted to."

I smiled, closing my eyes. "Okay."

"Goodnight." He whispered, kissing my lips quickly.

"Night." I was too tired to pull him back for more so I told myself I would make up for it the next day.

And with that I fell asleep, peacefully.