29 - Facing Friendly

Hermione made sure she kissed Draco frequently after that first moment together. They had both had very different experiences with relationships, and Hermione wanted him to feel as though they were at the same speed with how things were going. All she wanted was for Draco to be comfortable with her, and so far he seemed just as in love as she was. Despite this, her time in the Hospital Wing was very lonely. Draco had to go back to lessons while she spend the remainder of the week convalescing, and Madam Pomfrey still forbade her from working.

"I have to catch up, though!" Hermione protested at least twice a day.

"No you do not, Miss Granger. You are a quick enough learner, and we can't have you getting too worried all over again. I won't tell you again, Hermione. No textbooks."

She tried not to worry about it, but as Thursday morning dawned Hermione was back to feeling awful. Hermione rolled over in bed, ignoring her plate of breakfast and trying to go back to sleep. The dream hadn't come for her since her attempt, but she could feel in her head that it wasn't too far away. At least in her dreamless, naturally-induced sleep she couldn't think about everything that was wrong, even if she wanted to.

Hermione had intended to ask for visitors again that day, as it had been a while since she had seen another classmate other than Draco, but in the end she didn't have to.

There was a knock on the Hospital Wing door, and Madam Pomfrey emerged from her office to answer it. Hermione lifted her head off the pillow to try and catch the conversation, but could only hear some mumbling and a slight protest from the would-be intruder. Then, she heard the Healer sigh and grant entrance. In came Neville, holding a bunch of pale blue tulips that were gently smoking.

"Hi, Hermione," he said, coming over to her bed and arranging the flowers in the vase on her nightstand. Neville spent a little too long organising them, and Hermione could feel his discomfort like a roll of barbed wire between them. He finally sat down on her bed and rubbed his face.

"For Merlin's sake. What are we going to do with you?" he said with fond exasperation. He gave her a smile, which held more than words ever could. "I was here for you, you could've spoken to me. I have no idea what was going through your head, but I wish I did if it meant I never had to lose you. For Merlin's sake," he repeated.

"I... I..." Hermione faltered, unsure what to say.

"I know, it's tough talking to people, believe me when I say I understand. But you should've spoken to me, if not as your teacher then as your friend. I care about you, Hermione. I want to talk to you, because you're my friend and I would always trust you with my problems. Is - Is that why you didn't talk to me? Because you don't trust me?"

"No! God, no, Neville, I trust you so much," Hermione said, horrified.

"Then why didn't you tell someone?" he replied instantly. "You'd be dead right now if it wasn't for Malfoy. I'm guessing you didn't tell him either?"

"I-I spoke to him more, but I never... I never told anyone I was going to..."

"No, I didn't think so." Neville sighed heavily. "You hold too much in that head of yours, Hermione. Merlin knows it's got enough space for all the knowledge in the world, but you have to let some stuff out. No-one wants you to deal with everything alone. You shouldn't have to just because you feel like you're weak otherwise."

"I don't feel like I'm weak."

"Yes you do, you clearly do. I remember even in our first year you always had to prove you were capable. Even if it was just beating everyone to the answer, you had to show us all you were strong. Back then I suppose it was fine, because it was only tests and textbooks, but it's bigger than that now. It's not weak to admit you're not OK. You can tell us when you need help, or when you don't understand. C'mon, Hermione. You are strong, but it's fine to not be strong as well." Neville gave her a smile and raised his eyebrows encouragingly.