34 - Flipping Pages

The weeks seemed to whizz past Hermione and her friends. The end of February came and went, and by mid-March they were all realising their NEWTs weren't so far away.

"It's literally only three months now!" Seamus said, his hands in his hair. "And the curriculum ends in April. By that point, they've run out of stuff to teach us. We're as smart as we're ever going to get."

"No, by April the magical curriculum has reached its natural end," Luna put in. "We can still learn more stuff. We could get scholarships to go to Ilvermorny or somewhere else and do more intensive studies in a chosen subject."

"Who actually wants to do that, though?" Seamus said incredulously. "By this point, I'm ready to leave school and pretend I know what I'm doing."

"I'd like to go abroad and study Magical Creatures further," Luna said, looking up at the ceiling in the Great Hall. "It would be nice to have some more time looking at the theory before I get into the field work."

"So what do you want to do for a job when we leave Hogwarts?" Ginny asked her.

"I'd love to be a magizoologist," Luna replied.

"Sounds interesting, but not for me, thanks," Ginny grinned.

"Why, what would you like to do?" Luna returned the question.

"Seeker for the Holyhead Harpies. They're the best Quidditch team by far, and they're all-female. I'd love to play for them," she sighed.

"I'm sure you'd get in," Draco assured her, "You're one of the best Seekers in Hogwarts."

"Um, one of?" Ginny coughed.

"Fine, the best in Hogwarts." Draco rolled his eyes and smiled.

"What would you four like to do?" Ginny asked the remainder of the group.

"Some kind of Muggle job, I think," Seamus said, wrinkling his nose. "I love being able to do magic and everything, but I do kind of miss the way I lived when I thought I was a Muggle. A firefighter, or something like that."

"I want to do something to support the minority communities in magic," Dean said. "For werewolves, and house elves, and Muggle-borns who get kicked out of their families. I don't know if there's a Ministry Department for it, or if I'd have to do it myself, but I want to help people like that. It was a hard time, learning that I was a wizard, and I know that it could be dangerous for some kids too. I want to make sure everyone can be safe."

"That's really cool!" Ginny said. "I'd never have thought of anything like that, but that sounds like really good work to do."

"I have no idea what I'll do," Draco said, a little sadly. "If my father can forgive me then I'll have enough inheritance to never have to work, and I'll get the family house as well. Honestly, though, I'd rather get a job and buy my own house and have it just to fall back on. I can't see my father getting out of Azkaban any time soon, and he won't be likely to forgive me now that I'm with Hermione."

"Why -- Oh, yeah." Dean said, stopping.

"Because she's Muggle-born. But I'd much rather have you than have a house that gives me nightmares." Draco said staunchly, putting his arm around Hermione. She smiled and kissed him briefly.

"If I could have any job, though, I'd honestly love to re-open Florean Fortescue's Ice-Cream Parlour." Draco said with a laugh. "I know it sounds daft, but I loved going in there when I was younger and I think it would be nice to be the one who gave the next generation of wizards their first taste of magical ice-cream. Realistically, I'd just like an office job in the Ministry. Not an Auror, or anything in the field, but just something paperwork-y and busy."