30 - Returns

*Trigger Warning - References to Self-Harm and Suicide*

On the Sunday before she returned to lessons, Hermione was collecting her belongings so she could go back to sleeping in her dormitory. It was astonishing how far all her bits and pieces had managed to spread themselves, and she was still missing a book when Draco came to see her again.

"Hello," he said, kissing her briefly, "How are you?"

"Fine," she replied, flicking her wand so all her items tucked themselves neatly inside a duffel bag. "Have you seen my copy of The Phoenix and the Carpet? It seems to have vanished."

"I think that was the one you let Luna borrow after the last time she visited, I could be wrong though. Nope, here it is," Draco announced, fishing the book from under the nightstand. Hermione thanked him and wedged it into the top of her bag, putting it on the floor and sitting back down on the bed. Draco sat down as well and rested his hand loosely around her waist.

"Ready to go back? I mean, will you be able to cope?" he asked, watching her for a reaction. Hermione took a deep breath and nodded.

"I think so. At least now I know for certain that everyone has my back. I just want to be able to get back into lessons and forget about it. I know it's a massive thing, and I can't sweep it under the carpet, but I just want some normality again, because it's been a long week and I couldn't even get started on my catch-up work --"

"Shut up, Hermione," Draco told her. "Don't even think about it yet. You can't try to barrel head-first into all your work as soon as you leave the Hospital Wing. There's no point in stressing yourself out about something that doesn't even matter that much; there's at least four months left until the exams even start, so you've got more than enough time to get your head around everything. You need to spend more time on the things that matter. Are you ever going to look back when you're on your deathbed and think, 'Oh, I wish I'd revised more'? No! You're going to wish you'd skipped class a few times, and been shopping more, and spent more time with your friends and loved ones. Like me. I want to take you on dates, so will you please give me a few opportunities each month when I know you're not going to be busy to take you somewhere?"

Hermione sighed, and smiled as she looked at Draco.

"You're so odd. But I'm glad I've got you." Hermione leaned towards him and he met her with a kiss. It was gentle, and slow, and loving. Hermione tangled her fingers in his hair and Draco's hands ran along her hips as they moved their lips together. As much as it pained her, Hermione eventually drew away. Draco smiled and looked away as he blushed slightly.

"I still feel shy when you kiss me," he admitted.

"I still feel privileged when you kiss me," Hermione replied.

"Merlin, don't make it sound like you deserve someone like me. I'm just grateful you've put up with me for so long, and I'm amazed you even like me that way."

"Trust me, it's not that hard once you get to know the real Draco." Hermione said.

"Oh, am I a complex creature? Do I have hidden depths and wonderful backstories? Do I require attention and research?" Draco teased, nudging Hermione with his shoulder. She rolled her eyes at him and smiled fondly.

"For God's sake, just kiss me again."

Draco raised his eyebrows cheekily, but complied. There was silence in the Hospital Wing, apart from small murmurs of delight and the slight rustles of clothing. Draco pulled away first this time, and leaned their foreheads together.

"Come on, then. I'll help you carry the bag."

"Honestly, I'm perfectly capable of carrying my own bag, Draco. I was going to Leviosa it, so then it's even easier." Hermione shook her head at him, smiling. He was trying to be a gentleman, but really he was being inconvenient.