31 - Careful Steps

Hermione work up well-rested the day she was to return to school. She had spent the evening with Draco in the Tower, just talking and laughing and kissing, before going to her dormitory. It felt strange being in her bed again, and even stranger to be sleeping without the aid of her potion. Hermione had made the conscious decision that she wasn't going to take it anymore. It had helped her before, she knew, but the dull effect it had on her brain wasn't worth the break from her nightmares. Plus it now carried the memory of her suicide attempt; those minutes she had fumbled with the bottle only to find it wouldn't seal her fate impeded her mind each time she saw it, so Hermione buried it at the back of the drawer and tried to forget it.

So it was a surprise that she woke up naturally, having only had a mundane dream, and with no fear or dread in her stomach. But the boulder had lodged itself in her chest again; the thoughts her father wouldn't leave her. It was almost funny, really - all the time she had tried to make him stay was worthless seeing as he had died anyway, but now the thought of him was constant, and it wouldn't go even if she willed it to with all her heart.

She got up, and looked at her face in the mirror. Despite everything that had filled her head, her face was unchanged. Hermione scooped her hair into her hands, twisting it away from her face as she examined herself. Dark circles lay under her eyes, and thin veins were visible around the sockets. A few stray freckles bordered her nose, and a little bit of sleepy dust clung to her upper lashes. She picked it away, and ran a finger over her chin. Just below her jaw and parallel to her her ear, a purple mark betrayed her and Draco's time together in the Tower. Her cheeks flushed and she smiled a little at the mirror, remembering him.

"For goodness' sake, Draco, Ginny will notice, you know she will," she had gasped.

"Don't care," he mumbled against her neck, lips and teeth and tongue pulling on the skin. "You can hide it under your hair."

"Fine, two can play..." she murmured, pulling herself into his lap and leaving a mark of her own against the base of Draco's neck. It was far larger, and even as Draco tried to push his shirt collar over it, the reddish purple showed through the white fabric like a stain. Smirking, Draco grasped her chin and pulled her mouth against his again, lips pulling against each other desperately.

It was a pleasant distraction, but she really had to get ready. Hermione looked back at her own expression. She dropped her hair and ruffled it into its loose state. Carefully, she brushed it back and changed into her uniform, making sure a thick lock of hair was over the bruising. In a moment of inspiration, she grabbed her wand and held the point against her hair.

"Praefigo,"she muttered, watching as the Sticking Charm fixed her hair into the position she needed. Hermione shook her head to check, and saw the strands stay rigidly against her neck while the others danced around wildly.

Once she had packed her bag, Hermione went downstairs to breakfast. It was still quiet in the Great Hall, as lessons didn't start for another half an hour, but Luna was sat by herself spooning porridge into her mouth in between yawns and reading a magazine. Hermione walked over to her and sat opposite her friend, pushing her bag under the table.

"Morning," she said, taking some toast and buttering it generously.

"Morning, Hermione," Luna said, "How did you sleep?"

"I slept well," Hermione said, now spreading marmalade over the toast, "How about you?"

"I had a bizarre dream, but I can't really remember it anymore," the other girl replied. "I only know it made me feel sad."

There was a pause as Hermione started eating, and Luna had to turn the magazine (which Hermione now recognised as'The Quibbler') upside down.