Chapter 17

I don't feel like seeing anyone,so I just go to the chasm,I sit down and start thinking,I'm divergent,I need to be worse at these simulations,I hear footsteps and I turn and see Peter,he sits down next to me and we just sit in silence for a while, " How long did it take you?" He asks "  one minute and forty two seconds " his eyes widen in shock,"you're lying." I glare at him, "why would I ?" I ask " to intimidate me." He says, I just roll my eyes and sigh , " believe whatever you want to." I tell him, we stay silent for a few more seconds,until he asks me a question "Why did you say that to me? I mean that you don't completely blame me," I look at him " Because I believe it." He stays silent for a while but he finally says " thank you ." My eyes widen in shock "what?" "I am not going to repeat it," he says annoyed. We go silent again. But it's a comfortable silence,he looks at me and then back at the water,we stay like that for what seems like eternity,and then I leave.
.
I open my eyes,I'm on a bed,a hospital bed,in the surgery room,my insides are open,people are working on me ,with needles,that's what they're doing,they're operating on me,I breath fast,I have calculated that every minute in real life is ten minutes here,based on how much my friends think they had spent in the simulation and how much they really had,and my own experience,of course,I try to stay there for as long as I can and I have to act scared,it's hard,but I try my best,after what seems like half an hour,I wake up. " How much?" I ask as soon as I'm awake ,Four sighs,not enough yet,I guess " three minutes ,but at least you don't get out like that,but still it's very likely for them to figure out what you are," he knows,I know he won't tell anyone,probably because he's divergent like me,I huff, " I tried my best,I don't think I can last more than that" I get up and I'm about to leave ,before he touches my shoulder " Hey,try to look a bit ,well more nervous and terrified ,okay?" "I'll try ," I pause "thank you Four" I smile at him, and I can see him trying to suppress a smile,I get out,Four asks Peter to go in,I look at him and smile,he tries to smile back,but then he stops himself, I look away from him,and continue on my way.
The next day when I get up,I see that everyone was still asleep,I check the clock and it says 5:27,I get up and try to go to the bathroom when I see that the door is locked,I just wait on my bed and change my clothes,finally the door opens and Peter comes out,I ignore him and go brush my teeth,after I'm done I see that he's standing,fidgeting with his clothes, I try to ignore him but he asks me a question in a whisper," what are you doing today?" " probably killing time until we have to practice," I answer him, "hmm," he looks like he wants to say something,finally he grabs my hand and takes me out of the dormitory,to say that I am surprised is an understatement, " what are you doing?" I ask him,trying to keep my voice down,he doesn't even turn around " taking you somewhere,don't worry you'll like it," I give up and just go with it but I do suggest that he let me come without taking my hand since it's starting to hurt a bit, he lets go of my hand and for a second I miss the warmth of his hand against mine,I shake that thought off. We go on a rooftop and the sight takes my breath away. He brought me to watch the sunset with him.