Chapter 56

I am walking down some stairs towards me living quarters, when someone put their hand on my mouth , a sack on my head and pulled me in to the shadows.

Naturally,I struggle.

I hit them in their stomach,I think.

"Ow! That was painful !" They say.

"That's why I did it" I say as I try to hit them where I believe their nose is when they grab my hand and stop me.

We stay silent and unmoving for a long while.

"What are you doing then? Aren't you gonna kill me? Or hit me? Or whatever?" I say.

"We mean no harm. We are the Allegiant ." The voice replies.

The voice continues, "We have heard that you are not loyal to Evelyn Johnson and her factionless lackeys."

"This is ridiculous." I say,logically.

"Not as ridiculous as trusting someone with your identity when you don't have to" they say.

"No, I'm not loyal to her," I say. "Why does that matter?" I say ,even though I know. They want me to join them. Somehow at least.

"Because it means you want to leave," the voice says. I knew it .

"We want to ask you for a favor, (Y/N) (Y/L/N). We're going to have a meeting tomorrow night, at midnight. We want you to bring your Dauntless friends."

"Okay," I say. "Let me ask you this: If I'm going to see who you are tomorrow, why is it so important to keep this thing over my head today?"

This seems to temporarily stump whoever I'm talking to.

"A day contains many dangers," the voice says.

"We'll see you tomorrow, at midnight, in the place where you found out the truth you never speak of"

All at once, the door swings open, blowing the sack against my cheeks, and I hear running footsteps down the hallway.

By the time I'm able to pull the sack from my head, the corridor is silent.

I look down at it—it's a dark-blue pillowcase with the words "Faction before blood" painted on it.

Whoever they are, they certainly have a flair for the dramatic.

"The place where you found out the truth you never speak of"

There's only one place that could be: Candor headquarters, where I learned about Will's death.
.
I am in my dormitory now. I just entered.

So I just noticed the note on the bed.

I took it and read it.

'I've found them.
I'll find you again.
At the right time.
Acidic.'

That was the note.

From Peter. I know it because it said 'Acidic' .

Which he knows could mean pH to me. Because that means potential hydrogen and declares how acidic or alkaline a substance is. Peter would definitely be acidic. And pH can also stand for Peter Hayes, if all of them were capital letters.