Chapter 34

After finding out that Tris was the one who shot Will. I wasn't quite able to talk to her. Or to say it better. I didn't want to talk to her.

But the word spread around that Tris and her group of friends wanted to listen to Kang and the Erudite representative . I wanted in.

I find Tris sitting in the cafeteria with Lynn, Tobias, and Lauren, picking at her dinner and sneaking looks at Christina . She must feel guilty.

I walk up to them and they look up. Lynn gives me a look . " what do you want?" She asks. And to be quite honest I am a bit taken aback. Why would she dislike me.

Then I list the reasons ; I am a former Erudite, I'm not their friend, Lynn dislikes almost everyone.

I resist the urge to roll my eyes and think of forcing a smile ' no,not a good idea, that's stupid' .

I sigh, I might as well tell them the truth. "You want to eavesdrop on Kang and the Erudite representative, I want in"

"And why should we trust you?" Lynn asks ,raising an eyebrow. I try not to clench my jaw.

"Because she is my friend " says Tris eventually and let out a breath of relief. Subtly,of course.

Lynn continues looking at me with her eyebrow raised ,but eventually gives in and offers a seat to me.
.
It is still dark, but just barely, when we reach the bridge, which is two-tiered, with stone pillars at each corner.

We descend the stairs next to one of the stone pillars and creep with silent feet at river level. Large puddles of standing water gleam as the light of day hits them. The sun is rising; we have to get into position.

Uriah and Zeke are in the buildings on either side of the bridge so they can get a better view and cover us from a distance. They have better aim than Lynn or Shauna, who came because Lynn asked her to, despite her outburst in the Gathering Place.

Lynn goes first, her back pressed to the stone as she inches along the lower lip of the bridge supports. I follow her, with Tris, Shauna and Four behind me. The bridge is supported by four curved metal structures that secure it to the stone wall, and by a maze of narrow girders beneath its lower tier.

Lynn wedges herself under one of the metal structures and climbs quickly, keeping the narrow girders beneath her as she works her way to the middle of the bridge.
.
"Hello, Jack," says a man.
It's Max, who appointed Eric to Dauntless leadership at Jeanine's demand, who implemented policies of cruelty and brutality in Dauntless initiation. I clench my jaw and strain to listen.

"Max," Jack says. "Where's Jeanine? I thought she would at least have the courtesy to show up herself."
"Jeanine and I divide our responsibilities according to our strengths," he says. "That means I make all military decisions. I believe that includes what we are doing today"

Something is wrong. I try to reason with myself that it's paranoia. But it isn't . A dauntless wouldn't speak like this. Someone is telling Max what to say. An Erudite. Jeanine .

"Fine," says Jack. "I came to—"

"I should inform you that this will not be a negotiation," Max says. "In order to negotiate, you have to be on even footing, and you, Jack, are not."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that you are the only disposable faction. Candor does not provide us with protection, sustenance, or technological innovation. Therefore you are expendable to us. And you have not done much to win the favor of your Dauntless guests," says Max, "so you are completely vulnerable and completely useless. I recommend, therefore, that you do exactly as I say."

"You piece of scum," says Jack through gritted teeth. "How dare—"
"Now let's not get testy,"

Something clicks in my mind. Max couldn't possibly have learned how to speak like this. An earpiece. That's it. Then I realize something.

"The signal from an earpiece can stretch only a quarter of a mile at most" I clearly remember reading that. It was from a time Will and I were into spy stuff .

Will and I . I clench my jaw . There will be no Will and I anymore.

I shake the thoughts from my head . Now , I have to listen.
.
Tris and I are close to the glass building. I am yards away. I grit my teeth and push myself harder.

My legs are numb; I barely feel the ground beneath me. But before I reach the doors, I see movement in the alley to my right. I swerve and follow it with my feet.

Three figures run down the alley. One is blond. One is tall. And one is Peter.

I feel all kinds of emotions rushing through me.
I stumble, and almost fall.
"Peter!" I shout.

I almost smile when he turns around. But at the same time I feel my eyes fill with tears.

I hear a female cry. Someone was hurt. I only say one thing before going to help.

"How could you?"