Chapter 41

The location of the factionless safe houses, and Caleb.

These are what I know happened.

I can understand how Caleb can betray me,but his own sister?

I don't know. Everything seems to go by in a blur .
.
The door opens .
"(Y/N)"
"Peter"
Peter sets a bottle of water next to the bed and a sandwich. I'm not gonna lie. I am hungry. But for some reason I shake my head.

Peter raises his eyebrow "you must eat it" he folds his arms and I see it right through him that he's worried. But maybe I'm wrong.

I roll my eyes "fine" I say and begin to eat.
.
After I am done awkwardly eating my sandwich with time to time sipping my water with Peter intently watching me. He gets up.

"Let me guess,the showers?" I say with a smirk now that I have more energy.

I don't know what being back to Erudite has done,but I feel smarter by just being here.

He smirks back "Yep" he says and then goes back to guard mode.

"Follow me" he says and I do as he asked.

We go to places of my old faction I had never seen before. I see Tris and Four.

As they get closer,Four goes unconscious. Not really of course . And I can tell due to my paramedic courses. The Dauntless traitors don't .

Tris and Four run together after a small fight. I want to follow them. But Peter holds me back.

"Let me go Peter" I say,irritated . He rolls his eyes ,huffs and says " they can't escape and you know it"

I knew that . Which is exactly why I need to find out what they're doing. But I stay still.
.
"You have an abundance of a particular kind of neuron, called, quite simply, a mirror neuron. Would you like us to explain a mirror neuron to you?" Jeanine says with her happiest face.

My eyes go wide. I had heard about this neuron and knew a bit about it.

"Exactly like its name ,it allows us to imitate behavior. Since it fires both when an action is performed and one is seen being performed " I say.

Jeanine raises her eyebrows " I thought you didn't take advanced biology?" She says and I roll my eyes. Of course she'd know my whole background.

"No,but I was a bit curious about the course. Therefore I read the books" I say plainly.

"Can you tell me what they're responsible for?" She asks as if we're in a classroom and I roll my eyes again.

"Learning languages,deducing people's intentions " all of the Erudite smirk a bit when I use the word 'deduce' even Jeanine's lips turn a bit upwards. Peter frowns.

"And empathy which means that someone with many strong mirror neurons would have a flexible personality and can imitate others if needed" I finish.

"A flexible personality would increase the chance of having aptitude for multiple factions" she says and I nod.

Now she just wants to know how to control someone like that . Like me.
.
I jerk awake by someone shaking me "let's get up and go!" He says,wait ,Peter says.

I open my eyes. His face is inches away from mine and out of instinct I want to pull away. But I accidentally move up and head butt Peter.

"Ow!" He says "sorry" I say but can't help but feel my bottom lip which almost touched his. He grins and leans down.

My heartbeat increases and I slowly lean in as well and kiss him gently.

We kiss until we run out of breath. Which is cliche,but still.

We pull apart and although the kiss was amazing,I feel like something is wrong.

I stare into his eyes.

They seem unnatural.

"You're not real" I say

"What are you-"

I close my eyes and open them again. Back in the room Jeanine gets up from her desk. She stands up and closes her fists. Not clenching, just closing. Like she is trying to control herself .

'She failed with Tris too' the thought crosses my mind.

I am calm. 'It's time for some cliche movie like quote ' Will's voice says.

"Torture won't break me and simulations definitely can't break me"

"You can't break nor control me" I smirk.

"Cause I've already done those to you"
.
"(Y/N)" I hear someone whisper shout. Peter is holding Tris while Four is holding a gun. I process everything. Well,not everything,but part of it.

"Let's go"
.
After some shooting,diving into a trash incinerator,and driving illogically,I have some time to talk to Peter.

"So you did what I always knew you could do" I say as we are sitting down and he rolls his eyes.

"Fake someone's death" I say and he chuckles weakly as do I .

After our small laughter dies down,he says something. "It may, well, definitely Will sound cheesy,but it was all for you" he says, I expected to see a blush,but he is looking directly into my eyes without any blush. But I can tell he is sincere.

I can't help but blush even though he is too confident to blush. And I say the first thing that comes to my mind " Thank you"

He nods his head and after a while so do I .
.
We get into a house in the Abnegation sector. Peter and I are forced into one house due to lack of space.

We sit down on a bed. All Abnegation houses are similar. A bit odd,but not more than every other thing I've seen.

We stay quiet for a while until he speaks .

"I have to say something,but if you say it's cliche,I will take you back to the Erudite headquarters " he says seriously.

I nod my head, not even having the energy to smile.

He takes a deep breath "I love you" he finally says.

At first,I don't process it. I open my mouth to say something sarcastic.

'No,you idiot!' Says Will's voice in my head.

I stare at Peter with my mouth open,until I decide to close it. I gulp.

I finally decide what to do. I don't just kiss him. I bring my hand up to touch his face softly. Then I bring the other behind his neck. And I feel him shiver,at my cold touch probably.

I mutter an apology and slowly bring my face close to his and touch his cheek with mine. He sighs smiling.

Finally ,after a long while of just touching, I kiss him. I lean in and put my lips on his.

Then I move my lips and he follows. We kiss until our lungs can't take the lack of air anymore.

I pull away with a gasp and he groans. But he is also panting. Then he grins mischievously.

"Couldn't you just say that you love me too?" He says with a smirk,but I think I detected a bit of worry in his voice.

I roll my eyes and so does he.

"Okay" I say and he looks up at me .

I decide to stop the teasing.

"I love you too"