Chapter 48

The next room is more like a hallway: it is wide, but not deep, with blue tile, blue walls, and a blue ceiling, all the same shade.

Everything glows, but I can't tell where the light is coming from.

At first I don't see any doors, but once my eyes adjust to the shock of color, I see a rectangle in the wall to my left, and another one in the wall to my right. Just two doors.

"We have to split up," I say. "We don't have time to try each one together."

"It's the logical solution ,Tris,if you don't mind,you go with Marcus"

Tris freezes, then nods slowly.

"Which one do you want?" Marcus says.

"Left" I say. I think it's good.

"Fine. We will go right."

"If I'm the one who finds the computer," I say, "what should I look for?"

"If you find the computer, you will find Jeanine. I assume you know a few ways to coerce her into doing what you want. She is not, after all, accustomed to pain," he says.

I nod. I am against torture, and I will do my best to prevent it.

But I know I have to.

I nod. We walk at the same pace toward our respective doors.

I'm not going to lie. I am slightly nervous . I don't know what I'll find. And there is a slight possibility that Jeanine won't be there.

I put my hand on the door handle. No lock.

I thought Tris said that she has heard from Tori that there would be insane security measures.

I had expected something more.

But that only means the worst is yet to come.

I open my door, and Marcus opens his. Tris and I  share a look. I walk into the next room.

The room, like the hallway outside, is blue, though here it is clear where the light is coming from. It glows from the center of every panel, ceiling, floor, and walls.

Once the door closes behind me, I hear a thud like a dead bolt shifting into place. I don't bother trying the door handle. I know it will be locked.

Small, piercing lights come at me from all angles. My eyelids aren't enough to block them, so I have to press my palms over my eye sockets.

I hear a calm, feminine voice:

"(Y/N) (Y/L/N) ,third generation. Faction of origin: Erudite. Selected faction: Dauntless. Confirmed Divergent."

'What does "third generation" mean?'

"Status: Intruder."

I hear a click, and pull my fingers apart just enough to see if the lights are gone. They aren't, but fixtures in the ceiling spray tinted vapor. Instinctively I clap my hand over my mouth. In seconds I stare through a blue fog. And then I stare at nothing.

I now stand in darkness so complete that when I hold my hand in front of my nose, I can't even see its silhouette. I should walk forward and search for a door on the other side of the room, but I think that would be illogical. Who know what may happen here?