Chapter 28

The Erudite cars pull up to the compound. There are five of them, all silver with black roofs. Their engines seem to purr as the wheels bump over uneven ground. I never thought I'd have to hide from the erudite,they're my family,my friends,my whole life for about 16 years. As we are passing the dauntless,I see Peter come next to me and intertwine his fingers with mine,I understand what he's trying to do and lean my head on his shoulder,giving him a goofy ,fake smile,I can't let them see me frustrated,they'll understand,he looks into my eyes and kisses my cheek,smart,when we're past them ,I drop my hand and try not to blush.
Finally Johanna walks in with an Erudite woman. Her bright blue shirt seems to glow against her skin, which is dark brown. She searches the room as she speaks to Johanna. I hold my breath as her eyes find me—and then let it out when she moves on without a moment's hesitation. She did not recognize me.
At least, not yet. I think I recognize her though,I shake the thought from my head and focus.
"Our Erudite and Dauntless friends are looking for some people," Johanna says. "Several members of Abnegation, four members of Dauntless, and a former Erudite initiate" she smiles,I can't help but feel a bit proud at the fact that I am considered a dauntless.
"In the interest of full cooperation, I told them that the people they were looking for were, in fact, here, but have since moved on. They would like permission to search the premises, which means we have to vote. Does anyone object to a search?" She is telling everyone with the tension in her voice not to object,I can sense it.
"Three of you stick around," the woman says to the Dauntless guards clustered by the entrance. "The rest of you, search all the buildings and report back if you find anything. Go."
A fight,that's the last thing we needed ,but that's what we got because Four couldn't say 'it's hot' a bit more nicely,I flinch as he aims his gun at the erudite woman,I remember her name now,Sophia.
"Whoever's with us should start running," Four says. The abnegation start going towards the door,Sophia shoots Peter ,I yell ,and Tris saves him,probably unintentionally and out of instinct,I don't hear what they say and then we all start to run.