Chapter 20

Uriah wants to shoot a muffin off Marlene's head . I know,it sound ridiculous,but that's what it is,it may be nice for me to shake the other thoughts off my head,so I go along with them ."Why are you shooting a muffin off Marlene's head?" "She bet me I couldn't aim well enough to hit a small object from one hundred feet," Uriah explains. "I bet her she didn't have the guts to stand there as I tried. It works out well, really."
I chuckle "that seems nice"
"Go stand in front of a target." Marlene walks away, a skip in her step. "You aren't seriously going to shoot at her, are you?" I ask Uriah. "It's not a real gun," says Lynn quietly. "It's got plastic pellets in it. The worst it'll do is sting her face, maybe give her a welt. What do you think we are, stupid?" Marlene stands in front of one of the tar- gets and sets the muffin on her head. Uriah squints one eye as he aims the gun. "Wait!" calls out Marlene. She breaks off a piece of the muffin and pops it into her mouth. "Mmkay!" she shouts, the word garbled by food. She gives Uriah a thumbs- up.
Lynn makes small conversation with Tris and I "you miss your old Faction?" After Tris answers I give her my own answer "to be quite honest,yes,I do,and I'm not even worried how you'll feel about me because of it" I say confidently,she nods her head,impressed "that's ,very dauntless of you" she smiles at me and I smile back .
Marlene picks up the muffin from the ground and bites into it. Uriah shouts, "Gross!"
"Initiation's supposed to wear us down to who we really are. That's what Eric says, any- way," Lynn says. She arches an eyebrow. "Four says it's to prepare us." "Well, they don't agree on much."
The door to the training room opens. Shauna, Zeke, and Four walk in just as Uriah fires at another target. The plastic pellet bounces off the center of the target and rolls along the ground. "I thought I heard something in here," says Four. "Turns out it's my idiot brother," says Zeke. "You're not supposed to be in here after hours. Careful, or Four will tell Eric, and then you'll be as good as scalped." Uriah wrinkles his nose at his brother and puts the pellet gun away. Marlene crosses the room, taking bites of her muffin, and Four steps away from the door to let us file out. "You wouldn't tell Eric," says Lynn, eyeing Four suspiciously.
I walk along with Lynn "so,um,what's up?" I try to make conversation and use some kind of dauntless language ,she chuckles "that is weird to hear,from you specially " she says, I nod my head "I know it is" I smile and we talk a bit until we reach the dormitory.