One

"DOING SOME LATE STUDYING, I SEE."

A voice startled Sierra Page, causing the pencil she held to slip through her fingers. Her blue eyes glanced up from her journal to see her older sister, Jemma, smiling as she leaned against the bedroom's wooden doorframe.

A slight grin fell over Sierra's lips as she replied, "Not really. I finished my homework earlier; just drawing to put my mind at rest."

Jemma nodded in understanding and walked entirely into the room, plopping onto her stomach next to Sierra on the bed. She brushed her dark hair away from her face before pursing her lips, gaze wandering over her younger sister's drawing. "That's an interesting drawing."

Sierra bit her lip and stared down at the pencil sketch of a threatening wolf, glaring forward.

"I had a weird dream last night," she finally shared.

Sierra trusted her sister, besides her best friends, more than anyone else.

When Sierra was six, their parents died from a car crash, meaning Jemma (only a sophomore in high school) had to step up. Jemma accepted help from the local sheriff next door until she was 18, but she was Sierra's protector. She wouldn't judge Sierra for anything, especially something as silly as a dream.

Jemma nudged her shoulder with her own, wanting her younger sister to go into details.

"I was walking in the forest in the middle of the night," Sierra thought through her words carefully. "I wasn't running, but it was hard to breathe. I couldn't say anything, but I kept trying to find a noise that wasn't there. Finally, a dark animal just, like, attacked me."

Sierra paused, furrowing her eyebrows together. She used not to remember her dreams but would wake up in a cold sweat. After a while, she figured it'd be best to document them all in a notebook. Recently, a multitude of them involved a dark animal.

"What happens next?" Jemma questioned. She asked not to push but out of concern. She knew about the dreams, even if Sierra didn't always share, and feared a certain truth would soon arise through them.

But, at least to Jemma, Sierra wasn't ready for the truth. Not yet.

Sierra shrugged from disappointment, not excited that she didn't have an answer for her. "I woke up."

A cellphone beeped from the bed, ending the conversation between the sisters. Sierra picked it up, closing her journal with one hand and unlocking her phone with the other.

Jemma sat patiently as her sister's face lit up when she read a text.

From: Batman

Meet me outside. Urgent.

Sierra hopped up immediately to put on her shoes.

Knowing only one person who could make Sierra drop everything she was doing, Jemma teased, "Where is that dork dragging you now?"

Sierra chuckled but refused to give her sister a clear answer as she shrugged on a jacket. Instead, she opened her window and perched her foot on the ledge. "I've learned it's better not to ask questions."

Jemma shook her head, amused, while Sierra climbed out the window. "You know the front door works just fine," she commented.

"And where's the fun in that?" Sierra retorted before she beamed at Jemma and closed the window while she balanced on the roof ledge. "Don't wait up!"

"Stay safe!" Jemma called. She wasn't a fan of letting her sister hang out late, especially since it was a school night. Yet, she let it slide because Sierra would be with the one person who loved her more than Jemma.