Three

AFTER LACROSSE TRYOUTS, SCOTT REALIZED HE HAD LOST HIS INHALER

It didn't take him long to trace his steps back to the woods the night before. He must've dropped when he got bit by the dark animal he claimed was a wolf.

Sierra tried not to think about how she could be doing her science homework as they trudged through the leaves, the sun's light peeking through the multitude of trees around them. Stiles focused on quizzing Scott, beyond curious about how well the boy played lacrosse earlier that afternoon. 

"I don't know what it was," Scott admitted, unable to explain. "It was like I had all the time in the world to catch the ball." He hesitated for a second before deciding to be honest with his best friends. "And that's not the only weird thing. I...I can hear stuff I shouldn't be able to hear. Smell things, too."

"Smell things?" Sierra repeated with a crinkle of her nose. "Like what?"

Stiles held up a branch for her to walk under as Scott answered. "Like the mint-mojito gum in your pocket."

She furrowed her eyebrows and stopped to check her pockets. Stiles did the same. 

"Scott, I don't have any mint- mojito—" Sierra stopped herself when Stiles held up a loose wrapper with half of a piece stuck to it. They exchanged a look as Scott threw up his hands in disbelief.

"So all this started with a bite," Stiles thought aloud.

Scott's mind automatically started to think of the worst possible scenarios. "What if it's an infection, like, my body's flooding with adrenaline before I go into shock or something?"

Sierra went to disagree, but Stiles held up his hand with a teasing smile. "You know what? I think I've heard of this. It's a specific kind of infection," he lied.

Scott stopped in his tracks and turned to the boy with the buzz-cut. "Are you serious?"

Sierra bit her lip instead of talking, letting Stiles mess around with him. Scott was one of the most gullible and oblivious people to walk the planet. Stiles once told her that when she went away for summer camp one year, he convinced Scott that a disease was going around people who hadn't kissed anyone. So, this led to Scott freaking out and kissing some random ten-year-old girl, who ended up giving him mono.

"Yeah, yeah," Stiles assured him, sending a sly wink to Sierra. "I think it's called lycanthropy."

Sierra snorted, and her hand flew over her mouth to maintain her laughter. 

"What's that?" Scott questioned with his eyes widened. "Is that bad?"

"Oh, yeah, it's the worst," Stiles nodded his head. "But only once a month."

"Once a month?"

"Mhm, on the night of the full moon." Stiles howled with his hands on his hips. 

Scott finally caught on, rolled his eyes, and shoved Stiles back with his hand.