Ten

A BELL RANG WHEN SIERRA OPENED THE GLASS DOOR OF THE VIDEO STORE

She had only been inside a few times before, usually for the same circumstances as why she glanced around the store today. Stiles had a decent DVD collection, but nothing sounded good, especially Batman.

No one was in her line of eyesight, but she didn't see it as unusual. Rarely anyone ever came in, and the store only had about three employees.

Movies, old and new, lined the shelves as she ran her fingers over them to find a film of interest. Nothing jumped out, so she moved farther from the entrance, towards the action section.

A phone rang from somewhere and caused her to glance up.

"Jackson?"

The blonde lacrosse captain turned away from the movies he was searching through and spotted his classmate.

"Hey, Sierra," he greeted awkwardly.

The two teenagers weren't friends— they only talked when Lydia was around. Not to mention he didn't particularly enjoy Scott McCall's presence, while Sierra did.

However, they tolerated one another for Lydia's sake.

"Do you know where I can find the Notebook?" he asked her.

"I'm guessing your plan to watch a sports movie with Lydia didn't sit well," Sierra joked. She raised her hand and pointed to the opposite end of the store. "The romance movies are over there. That'll be your best bet."

His blue eyes followed where she pointed and noticed a light above a ladder continuously flickering.

"Sierra?" Jackson grabbed her attention once more. "Have you seen a worker since you've been here?"

Sierra tilted her head before she shook it. "Actually, no, I haven't." She raised her voice to be heard over the phone, which continued to ring. "But I wish someone would come out and answer that stupid phone!"

"Is anybody working here?" Jackson called out.

No one answered.

"Unbelievable," he muttered under his breath.

"Someone has to be here," Sierra stated with a frown. "Otherwise, we wouldn't have been able to get in."

"Come on," Jackson decided. "Maybe there's a back room or something, and they just didn't hear us."

Sierra shrugged, not having a better idea, and fell into step with him as they walked down an aisle. Besides the flickering light, nothing seemed out of the ordinary to the teens.

That is until Sierra saw two shoes sticking out of one of the middle aisles.

She stopped walking. "Uh, Jackson?"

"What?"

The lacrosse captain followed her gaze, feeling a chill run down his spine when he saw the shoes. He swallowed hard but moved forward.