Twelve

DURING FREE PERIOD, STILES DRAGGED HIS BEST FRIENDS TO THE LACROSSE FIELD. 

Derek told Scott that he used anger to stay in control and the boy simply wanted to prove the theory (and get a little payback). 

Stiles dropped a lacrosse bag in front of the bleachers and handed Scott a black device with a strap before he sat beside Sierra. "Here," he said. "Put that on."

"Isn't this one of the heart rate monitors for the track team?" Scott questioned. 

"Yeah, I borrowed it," Stiles confirmed. 

Sierra rolled her eyes. "You mean you stole it."

"Stole, temporarily misappropriated," Stiles listed with a shrug. "Same difference. Coach uses it to monitor his heart rate on his phone while he jogs." He pointed to the teen wolf. "You're going to wear it the rest of the day."

Sierra groaned and rested her head in her palms. "You stole his phone too? Come on, Stiles." 

The Stilinski teenager contemplated answering but instead gave her a sheepish smile. 

"Why do we need to monitor his heart rate anyways?"

Stiles explained that Scott's heart rate rose when he turned into a werewolf, played lacrosse, or hung out with Allison. If he could control his heart rate, he could control turning. 

Scott grinned at the fact that it was like being the Incredible Hulk, and the other two simultaneously rolled their eyes. 

"I didn't plan on spending my free period watching you hit him with lacrosse balls," Sierra informed Stiles.

"I need you here," he replied to her as he stood up. He glanced back down, "You know, in case anything bad happens."

"You mean if Scott goes full wolf and tries to kill you?" she suggested, her eyes twinkling in amusement.

Stiles glared while she giggled at her joke. "Yes," he stated. "That would be very bad." He faced Scott, who took off his hoodie to wear the strap around his waist. "Ready?"

"I don't understand the duct tape," Sierra commented, still sitting while Stiles ensured Scott couldn't break out of the restraints.

"Without it, he could catch the lacrosse balls," Stiles called back to her and stepped back to admire his work. He reminded the beta not to get angry before he stood twenty feet away, lacrosse stick in hand and loaded to fire.

"I'm starting to think this was a terrible idea," Scott mumbled and winced as the white ball collided with his chest. 

Sierra squinted her blue eyes and fidgeted uncomfortably in her seat.

Stiles, however, was having a great time and laughed as he threw one after the other. "You're supposed to be thinking about your heart rate," the boy recalled. "About staying calm."

"Stay calm," Scott repeated quietly and dodged one of the white spheres. He gently hopped up and down, saying the phrase again and again. 

Sierra watched with her chin in her arms while they rested on her knees. She twitched her lips into a slight smile when she saw Stiles grinning and laughing at the fact Scott cursed loudly in pain.