Fifteen

EVENTUALLY, SIERRA DID GET OUT OF BED.

Jemma dropped her off with another encouraging smile, but Sierra kept her head hanging low as she walked through the halls. Students whispered about what they thought occurred Wednesday night. She noticed Allison and Lydia dodging people as they walked to class but did not try to catch up with them. The only person she had spoken to recently was Jemma, and she was too tired to change that.

Once she arrived at Mr. Harris' room, she quietly made her way to her seat. No one passed her a second glance as she sat down while their teacher handed out blue test booklets. Twiddling her thumbs, her head lazily glanced around the room and froze when she saw a familiar pale face.

Stiles's heart skipped a beat when he saw her sitting there and noticed an empty seat to her right. He rushed over, beating out one of Sierra's friends to the desk.

Sierra nervously released a breath; she could feel him staring at her.

Stiles sat with his mouth slightly open, wanting to attempt a simple hello but seeing her made his mind go blank.

To make things worse, Scott took the seat in front of Stiles, who nudged the werewolf and jerked his head in the direction of their best friend. The shaggy-haired boy followed his gaze.

Sierra refused to acknowledge either of them.

"You have forty-five minutes to complete the test," Mr. Harris stated with a timer and a booklet in his hand. "Twenty-five percent of your grade can be earned right now simply by writing your name on the cover of the blue book."

Sierra listened and simultaneously scribbled her name across the dotted line.

"However, as it happens every year, one of you will inexplicably fail to put your name on the cover, and I'll be left yet again questioning my decision to ever become a teacher," Harris continued. "So, let's get the disappointment over with. Begin."

Sierra lowered her head and opened the test to start reading the questions.

Ten minutes later, she was almost halfway done with the multiple choice. A chair squeaking caught her attention for a moment, and she glanced up to see Scott abruptly run out of the classroom. "Mr. McCall!" their teacher called out in protest.

Sierra turned her head to the right and widened her eyes when Stiles raised to his feet and briskly fled the room, going after the teen wolf.

"Mr. Stilinski!"

To fight the urge to chase her best friends, Sierra dug her fingers into the palm of her hands and inhaled deeply. She blinked a couple of times to remember where she was and repeated in her head that Scott and Stiles could handle themselves before she picked up her pencil and finished her test.

*^*^*^*

Stiles had trouble catching up to Scott.

The werewolf had disappeared from the hallway and didn't answer when Stiles called his name after he found his backpack abandoned on the floor.

Digging out his phone, he slipped the bag over his shoulder and dialed a number. His ears perked when he heard the familiar ringtone, and he headed over to it quickly.

Stiles reached the entrance to the locker room and decided it wouldn't hurt to be cautious in case Scott shifted. He glanced around anxiously and walked slowly past the white lockers. It didn't help that his mind decided to play the Jaws theme song, which made him even more nervous. Relief flooded through him when he arrived at the showers.

The shaggy-haired teenager stood underneath the water with his brown eyes squeezed shut and his hand against the wall. His chest was tightened, and he struggled to remain calm.