02| the cullens

Third Person POV

"And here's your room, Thea," Mike Newton said to Thea, opening the classroom door for the new girl, who he'd seemed to develop a quick crush on. "I'll see you later."

Thea mumbles a quick and quiet 'thank you' before making her way to the teacher, with her head down, so he could sign her slip.

In the back of the classroom, Jasper and Rosalie sit side by side with rigid postures and tight lips. When the door had opened, an unbearable weight fell onto Jasper's shoulders. A weight so unbearably heavy that made Jasper gasp.

"Jazz, what's wrong?" His supposed twin sister asks worriedly, her eyes flying around the room to find the source of her brother's pain.

Jasper, with one hand, grips his beat-less heart as waves of emptiness, worthlessness, and loneliness fill him. He gasps again as the emotions heighten, doubling over in his chair.

Rose's eyes zero in on the girl up front who had her head down and hair covering her face. A low growl emits from her lips as she watches the unfamiliar girl stand up straight before dashing over to her desk on the other side of the classroom.

After Mr. Jefferson had signed the slip of paper given to Thea by the secretary, she rushed over to her seat as quickly as she could. Thea felt eyes on her back, practically feeling the intensity of the glare burning holes into her. With a deep breath, she turns to the glare of the cold hearted vampire in the back of the class.

Rosalie and Thea met eyes, golden mixing with blue in an intense stare down. Thea couldn't look away from the scowling beauty before her eyes, jealousy filling her the longer she looked at the blonde behind her. Rose's scowl deeps when Jasper lets an inaudible, but only to the humans, whimper out.

Thea gasps at the intensity of the vampire's gaze, snapping back around in her seat. She quickly pulls out her notebook with her trembling hands, cursing herself for staring at the girl in the back of the room. Her shaky hands are unable to copy down the notes from the screen, so she sits quickly, using the breathing techniques her therapist recommended for her in situations like this.

"Thea, please," she whispered to herself. "Please calm down."

Class ticked on with Thea shaking in her seat, Jasper writhing in pain, and Rosalie shooting daggers at Thea's back. When the bell rang, Jasper shot out of his seat and out the door as fast as he could with humans around, Rose trailing not far behind him.

Thea watched the duo quickly exit the classroom before rising from her own seat and disappearing out of the same door to her next class.

•••

Thea

After French, I met up with Bella and another girl, named Jessica, before we made our way to the cafeteria. We sat at the end of a full table with several of her friends, who she introduced to me. I forgot all their names as soon as she spoke them.

Bella sat next to me, with Jessica by her side, and smiled before grabbing my hand below the table. As if she could feel my nerves from the immense amounts of social interaction. In our earlier classes together, Bella and I became quick friends.

"Who are they?" I hear Bella ask before everyone turns in the direction of one of the cafeteria doors which had just opened. I turn with the rest of them, seeing the blonde from History gracefully glide in with a overly muscular bear-like man.

"The Cullens," Angela, the only other person whose name I could remember, answered Bella.

"They're - um - Dr. and Mrs. Cullen's foster kids." Jess says, biting her lips as she watches the who I now know as the Cullen family. "They just moved down two years ago from somewhere in Alaska."

"They kind of keep to themselves," Ang continues to Jess.

"Yeah - cause they're all together, together." Jess says, shifting in her seat before looking over at the blonde and the large man. "The blonde girl, that's Rosalie. And the big dark haired guy, that's Emmett. They're like a thing - which I'm not even sure is legal."

"Of course its legal Jess - they aren't actually related." Angela rolls her eyes, smiling at Bella and I.

"Yeah but they live together, it's weird!" Jess argues as Rosalie and Emmett move over to the vacant lunch table by the windows opposite of our own table. "And, okay, the little dark haired girl is Alice, she's with Dawson who isn't here today."

"On the first day of school, who doesn't show up?" Angela gawks.

My heart constricts at the name, the name of my late best friend. Tears begin to poll in my eyes, but I look down and blink them away quickly, the tremble in my hands returning as Jess continues her introduction to the Cullens.

"That's Jasper, who always looks like he's in pain. He and Edward are the only single ones of the group - but he's just as weird as Alice and Dawson." Jess says, causing me to look up at the next two Cullens entering the cafeteria.

My eyes widen at the perfectly sculpted face of the blonde male from History - Jasper. Jess was in fact right with her observation. He really did look like he was in pain as he glided past my table.

"Who is Edward?" I head Bella ask the girls as I peek up at Jasper from the corner of my eye.

I find that he was staring at me, but not gawking like the other students had today — he had a slightly frustrated yet pained expression. I looked down again, quickly like nothing had happen.

"That's Edward. He's gorgeous, of course, but don't waste your time. He doesn't date. Apparently none of the girls here are good-looking enough for him." Jess sniffed, a clear case of sour grapes.

I wondered when he'd turned her down. I think, biting my lip to hide my smile.

I then glance at the Cullen table again, this time my eyes quickly gaze over Jasper to the one named Edward. His face was turned away, but I thought his cheek appeared lifted, as if he were smiling, too.

After a few more minutes, the five of them leave the table together. They all were noticeably graceful — even the big, brawny one. It was unsettling to watch, giving me a nervous feeling in my stomach. The one named Edward glanced my way as his adoptive brother, Jasper, flinched before rushing out of the cafeteria. Edward looked away, rushing after Jasper with his siblings following closely behind.

•••

another chapter because i'm falling in love with this book!! once again short, but hey it's a double update!!

-M