37 | wolf girl

Thea

I was home alone for the first time in what seemed like forever. The silence was something that I didn't experience often, so it was really weird in the soundless home.

Although part of me felt relaxed, another part of me felt uneasy. If all the pack was out, did that mean there was a looming danger? That something was wrong and I wasn't aware of it?

I began to make a batch of cookies to sooth the uneasy feeling in my stomach. I knew the boys would be home - eventually - and would be more likely to answer my concerns if I made them something to eat.

I was stirring in the chocolate chips when I hear the familiar roar of an engine pull into my driveway. I furrow my brows, setting the spoon down to look out the window. I watch Jared jump out of the bed of the orange truck, Embry slide out of the passenger side, and Bella shakily step out from behind the driver's door.

A small gasp left my lips as the realization hit me - Bella knew about the wolves.

Embry and Jared came bouncing through the front door, both inhaling the scent of the cookies.

"Damn, your girl knows the way to my heart," Jared said, dipping his finger into the batter. He licked it off, moaning in delight.

"Watch it," Embry warned, pushing his brother away from the counter. He winked at me, placing a quick kiss on my cheek before moving towards the fridge.

I let my eyes watch him for a moment before letting them turn to Bella. She looked around the house awkwardly, resting in the entry way to the kitchen.

"Bells," I greet with a small smile. I didn't blame the girl for seeming so uncomfortable.

"Hi?" Bella says, nervously glancing at the door.

"Where's Sam?"

"Bella, er, surprised Paul this morning."

I rolled my eyes. "Ah, Paul," I sighed. "Do you think they'll be long? I was about to start dinner."

"Don't worry," Embry told me, his mouth full of one of the muffins from the table. "If they're late, we won't let anything go to waste."

I chuckled, and then opened the refrigerator. "No doubt," I agreed. "Bella, are you hungry? Go ahead and help yourself to a muffin."

"Thanks," Bella said, picking one of the muffins up. I had baked them earlier in the morning - if you couldn't tell, baking eases my nerves. I watch Embry reach for his third muffin and gasp.

"Save some for your brothers," I chastise him, hitting him on the head with a wooden spoon.

"Pig," Jared commented.

"So, you're a wolf girl now?" I hear Bella ask, her eyes wandering around my kitchen.

"I guess so," I shrug and smile, liking the sound of the title.

"Does that make you, Bella, the vampire girl?" Jared asks the paled girl in the room. His mouth is full, like always, and his head is cocked to the side.

"I guess so," Bella repeats my words. "But Thea was once a vampire girl, too."

"And thank god she saw the light!" Embry laughs, placing another kiss on my cheeks. Just as he does this, the screen door leading from the kitchen to the backyard opens.