31 | hall monitors on steriods

Thea

"If I told you I couldn't have fixed these bikes, what would you have said?" Jacob asks, leaning over me to look at Bella. The three of us were stuffed into Bella's truck and I had the pleasure to be stuck in the middle. We were finally giving these bikes a run for their money.

"Jacob Black, are you doubting your mad skills?" I sarcastically gasp which forces a chuckle out of Bella.

"No, definitely not. They'll run just fine," he says. "It's just . . . if I was smart, I would've dragged out the rebuild a little bit."

My eyes shift from the road to Jacob, who had his head leaned against the window. He seems upset that the bikes were done - as if he was upset that Bella would leave him.

"I'd say that it was too bad and we would just have to find something else to do," Bella says, glancing at Jake. Her face mirrored his before her eyes met mine. I have a pointed look on my face, knowing what she was doing. She was starting to like Jake, and he liked her too.

Bella breaks our stare down, glancing out her window. Her eyes widen as she leans forward. "Is that Sam Uley?"

Her question gains Jacob and I's attention. We both look out her window, spotting a group of guys standing a top of a cliff. From what I can see, Paul is in the front as the guys try to push him off.

"Yeah. Him and his cult," Jake mutters. His eyes quickly flit over to me. "Sorry."

Bella glances worriedly at the group and when the boys finally manage to push Paul off the cliff, she quickly pulls her car off to the side of the rode and jumps out.

I laugh quietly, crawling out of the truck after her. She watches them, bewilderment on her face, as I throw myself up onto the hood of her truck.

"Did you see that?" She asks, running across the road.

Jake and I share a laugh as he leans next to me. "They're not actually fighting, Bella." He says.

"They're cliff diving, recreationally." I say, my smile growing at their hollering reaches my ears. "Scary as hell, but a total rush."

"A rush?" Bella asks.

"Most of us jump from lower down," Jake nods. "We leave the showing off to Sam and his disciples."

"You have some kind of beef with them or something?" Bella asks him, her eyes landing on me as I awkwardly sit. She can feel the awkward tension radiating from me.

"I don't know." Jake sighs, his elbow resting on my knee. "They act like they run the land."

"Embry used to call them hall monitors on steroids, now look at him." Jake mutters, disgust in his voice.

"That's Embry?" Bella asks, her question pointed to me more than Jacob.

"Lay off him," I say, shoving Jake's elbow off my knee. "You don't know what you're talking about, Jake. You have absolutely no idea."

"Then why don't you fill me in, Thea? What happened to him?" Jake asks, following me after I pushed myself off the hood and began my way back to the door.