56 | before and now

"How is it so damn hard to find her?" Embry groans, running his hands repeatedly through his hair. "She's a vampire — shouldn't we be able to smell her?"

Paul shrugs from his seat, looking equally stressed. "She didn't smell."

"Could it be her gift?" Jacob asks, leaning in the doorway. His bones had healed completely in the three days since he was injured.

"It could be but we wouldn't know unless we talked with Carlisle," Sam says.

An uproar of disagreement spilled from the packs' mouths. None of them were particularly happy with the Cullens — even the ones they remotely tolerated.

"Whether we like it or not, we have to." Sam said, holding his hand up to silence his family. "Since she is a vampire now, we have to alter the treaty. There are rules that need to be created and rules that need to be abolished. So, we must speak with Carlisle."

"She's not a Cullen," Embry seethed, glaring at Sam. "She's not like them."

"There has to be a way," Jacob says, running his hand through his hair.

Sam let's out a long sigh before slinking over to the phone mounted on the wall. He picks up the receiver, brings it to his ear, and types a number in. The pack waits in silence as the phone rings.

"Carlisle?" Sam says, knuckles turning white from squeezing the phone so tightly. He looks about the men in his kitchen before muttering. "We need your help."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

"Where was the last place you tracked her scent?" Carlisle asks, his arms crossed over his chest as he looks at the shapeshifter across the treaty line.

"We can't smell her," Sam says, his posture rigid. "We think it's her gift."

"That puts a wrench in things," Emmett chuckles, the only one who sees the light in the situation.

Everyone turns to glare at the bear-like boy, who holds his hands up in defense.

"I'm just saying," he says. "Thea's a newborn, she's gonna be okay. She's stronger than anyone here."

"Damn right," Jacob mumbles, rolling his shoulders from the dull aches he still had. "But we still need to find her, she's probably freaking out."

"So we disband and cover more ground," Jasper says, his voice monotone. "Searching in groups will set us back, so will the treaty lines."

"You are welcome on the ground, given you leave our people unharmed and stay out of sight." Sam says.

"You as well," Carlisle says, a small smile on his lips as he looks to Sam. "We care about Thea as well, we only want her safe."

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

Jasper peered up at the Pack house, wonder swirling in the pits of his stomach. Was he the only one who thought of this possibility?

He didn't know, and he wouldn't until he checked inside. So, he gracefully gliding up the porch steps and through the front door, shutting it so gently that even a newborn would have trouble hearing it.

Peaking around each corner, the downstairs of the house was empty of Thea's presence. Jasper next crept up the stairs, avoiding the one squeaky steps he somehow always managed to hit in prior visits.

Whether he would admit it or not, he was terrified that something else had happened to Thea. In the back of his mind he knew that she was okay, given that she's a three day old vampire. But nonetheless, his heart still ached.

The closer he crept towards Thea's closed bedroom door, the more terrified he felt.

His hand was soon resting on the door knob, his ear pressed against the wood for any signs of life in the room. When he heard none, he twisted his hand and shouldered the door open.

And sitting on her bed was Thea, clothes stained red from blood.

A sigh of relief left Jasper's lips at the sight of her, quickly closing and leaning against the door. He took her in, the beauty radiated off of her. Of course, it did before, but every feature of her face and every curvy of her body was intensified.

"Thea," he breathily said, gaining her attention.

Red eyes bore into his golden eyes, sending a wave of shock through Jasper's body. He took a tentative step forward, one hand held out in front of him.

"Are you okay?" He speaks again, holding the eye contact between the two.

"I don't know," Thea says, the sound like a melody. Jasper felt as if his unbeating heart skipped.

"Everyone has been looking for you, you know." He sits a foot or so away from her, his hand sitting palm-up in the space between them.

"I know," she replies, her eyes taking in every detail of Jasper. "You're prettier now."

A smile breaks across his face, chuckles dancing through him. "So I've been told."

"You kept everyone safe," Thea says.

Jasper sighs. "Mostly everyone."

Thea's eyes widen as she turns her body towards Jasper. "Who died?"

Another chuckle leaves Jasper's lips at her expression. "No one died, Thea. The only injury was Jacob, the last newborn got to him after the fight was over. But he's healed and back to normal."

"Oh," a sigh of relief leaves Thea's lungs. "So, you kept your promise."

He nods. "Indeed I did, darlin'."

Thea's teeth gently bite into her bottom lip as her eyes scan up and down Jasper's expression. She could now see the tiny bite marks littering his face and neck. Her fingers reach forward, brushing away his unbelievable blonde hair from his eyes before trailing them along each scar.

"You're beautiful, Jasper," she murmurs, her hand cupping his cheek. Her chest ached at the amount of love swirling through her.

"There isn't a word that could describe you," he voice barely audible, but her newfound hearing was easily able to pick it up. "Before and now."

And in a second, Thea had her lips pressed against Jasper's so quickly that he fell backwards on her bed, his hands finding her hips as he kissed her back with such passion.