45 | wolf 101

Thea

I watched anxiously from the passengers seat, my thumb nail caught between my teeth - growing shorter by the chew - and my leg unconsciously bouncing up and down against the floor mat.

Dawson didn't look bothered. Both hands were on the wheel and his golden eyes were directed in front of him as he payed attention to the road. I knew he didn't need to really pay attention, but he knew it made me feel better and he also know that probation was a bitch and that it was time to get out of the bitch zone.

"Why are you so worried?" He questioned, glancing over at me. The question made me squirm in my seat, and I sighed impatiently when the treaty line came into view.

"You're meeting Embry." The words rolled off my tongue quicker then they were meant too, and the sentence came out in one long slur. "Officially."

"Yes, I know." Dawson responded easily, and I hated how easy he made this look.

Vampire meeting werewolves, plural, werewolves. I wasn't quite sure how this entire meet and greet was going to go, my biggest fear being that Dawson walks up the them and suddenly World War III is upon us.

My second biggest fear being that the most important men in my life hating each other. Dawson and Sam were two of the most influential beings in my life, so they needed to get along. Not only for my sake, but their own.

The two groups of supernatural beings were inhabiting the same space, and at the rate that things were going, they would be for the rest of time. Every time the Cullens moved away and back, the wolves would shift, raising tensions and resentment with each new wolf.

The constant battling between the two families would never cease, no one would win. So, to save my family from a full fledged battle, I called the only Cullen that could be trusted.

It had been weeks since I had seen any of the Cullens and I wanted to keep it that way, but Dawson always had a talent of weaving his way into lives of others. And that's exactly what he did.

Everyday since the encounter at Forks High School, he would rapidly spam my phone. After hours of almost constant ringing on the seventh day, the inner annoyance of yours truly gave in and answered.

Dawson proceeded to tell me, quite rushed, that he didn't agree with moving and that he most certainly didn't agree upon Jasper's actions at all throughout the months of their absences.

With the charisma only he had, I was won over. Of course, I didn't let him in easily. He knew I was no longer the doormat I had once been and with that came his responsibility to show that he was different than the adoptive family.

And he had, which was why I called him to pick me up from school one day. Which was also why we were on our way to speak with Sam and the boys at this very moment.

I knew that since the last time a vampire set foot in my home, tensions were thick and tempers were thin, and it was all due time until some wolf snapped.

So, bringing Dawson to the house was the best solution I could think of. His word was solid to the boys if I agreed. He'd be our eyes and ears, the buffer between the two clans, the mediator.

"Should I start off with my standard wooing line or should I start with some ass kissing?" Dawson asked as he put his outrageously expensive car into park in the dirt leading up to my residence.

"Neither," I breathe out, popping my door open. The cool breeze pans against my face as I gently shut the door — as per request from Dawson — and make my way to my awaiting brother upon the porch.

"Samuel," I greet, pulling the man into a tight hug — one of warning. I hear the porch creak, signaling Dawson's presence and pull back from my brother, who keeps his arm around my shoulders.

"I like the place you have," Dawson says, hands shoved in his pockets as he surveys the land. "Roomy for fetch and other games that wolves play. Do wolves play games?"

Sam scoffs, nodding. "None that you would understand."

"Fair point," Dawson admits, the insult brushing off. "I did never finish high school nor have I taken Wolf 101."

"Maybe the boys can teach you about them one day," I intervene, pulling the screen door open. "Why don't we take this chat inside? It seems like it's about to rain."

The two men follow me into the house, standing at separate ends of the kitchen as I quietly make myself tea. Knowing that a warm liquid would be the only thing able to soothe the nauseous ache in my stomach.

"Look, Sam," Dawson says, running a hand through his hair before looking at Sam with almost guilty eyes. "When we left, I should've stayed. I should've done anything except run away from what happened. But, I'll admit, I was scared. I was practically terrified of doing what I did to Bella, to Thea."

The look on Dawson's face was enough to make my healing heart once again tear slightly. Guilt, anger, sadness, and disgust were morphed into one as he recounts his thoughts.

"So I ran. I went away to better my control — and I without a doubt have. I didn't leave to hurt your sister, I left so I wouldn't be in a situation where I could possibly hurt her. I didn't do it in the right way, I'm aware, and for that, I'm sorry." He continues. "Nor did anyone else in my family handle the situation as well and for that, I'm sorry. I will not speak on their behalf, but what I will say is that none of them have any intentions on bothering Thea again."

Sam's face remains stone cold as Dawson speaks, the both of them occasionally looking my way for looks of reassurance.

"I'm also here today to give you some insight on what goes on from here. It's been drilled into Jasper's mind that he may not set a toe over the treaty line — not until Thea or yourself ask him to." Dawson pauses, gauging Sam's reaction.

"I want to be apart of Thea's life, I know her better than I know myself and I would do anything, kill anyone, to protect her. I've learned from my mistakes and I'll do anything to prove it to you that I have. Whatever information I know regarding any vampires will be yours to know. I want your girl to be safe, and if telling you what we know will help in any way then I'll do it."

"In essence," Sam says thoughtfully. "You'd be a spy for the pact."

"If that's what it takes to get your approval to be in Thea's life then yes, I'd be a spy." Dawson chuckles. "I'd even be your bitch if that's what it took."

Sam nods, glancing over at me. I nod to him, batting my eyes in an almost puppy dog look to him. I needed Dawson just like I needed Paul, Jared, and the rest of the back. But I also needed to have Sam's approval — alphas orders are always followed, even if I wasn't a wolf myself.

With one final glance at me, Sam steps forward — Dawson meeting him in the middle — and holds his hand out to the vampire.

"Keep her safe when she's with you," Sam says. "And you're welcome here anytime."

•••

i cannot apologize enough guys. i just can't.

thank you for over 100K reads and i will update as often as possible.

-M