04 | i'm jasper hale

Thea

Jasper and his family didn't come to school the next day. When I walked into History, I was filled with disappointment at the sight of the two empty chairs in the back. I don't know why I was so intrigued by Jasper - I had only seen him once, in class and at lunch. And in both cases, he rushed out.

Part of me ached to uncover the mystery of his family, of him. But every day, they'd be gone. He'd be gone. And I'd be deflated, catching myself staring at his lunch table or glancing back at his still-empty desk. Still a no-show.

Yet everyday, I'd walk into History in hopes of seeing his perfectly structured face, his golden blonde curls, and his aura of calm. But everyday, I would be let down when I'd see his empty seat.

By Friday, I had given up the idea of Jasper. He would have to come back, and when he did I would speak to him. I would ask him why he seemed like he was in pain. I'd ask him why his sister hated me, and why Edward hated Bella.

And I intended on getting answers to all of my questions. One way or another, I would solve the mystery of the Cullens, namely Jasper.

•••

My first Friday night in Forks was spend with my sister and her boyfriend, Sam, at home. I had met him after he'd gotten home from work on my first day of school.

Sam was polite, charming too. He gave off a protective vibe over my sister and their home, and to be honest, I liked it. From the second he walked in the door, I felt safe.

I practically fell in love with Sam the second I saw him look at my sister - the adoration in his eyes as he watched Tiffany cook our dinner sent chills down my spine.

The only other people that I had seen love each other like Tiffany and Sam was with my parents. So, I knew Sam was a good one for my sister - if not the one.

"How was school today, kid?" Sam asked me when I walked through the door after school. He didn't seem to be home often during the day, so it was a surprise to see him.

"It was alright but what are you doing home?" I ask, setting my bag by the door. I could hear laughter - that didn't belong to my sister - erupt from the living room.

"I'm off today," Sam replied, pushing himself off of the counter. "There are a few people I want you to meet."

Sam lets out a shout and the laughter in the living room dies before loud, clunky footsteps can be heard. Two large men appear in the doorway of my living room. They're clad in simply t-shirts and jean shorts.

"Thea, meet Paul and Jared." Sam points to each of the men, his voice stern. "Paul, Jared, meet Tiffany's sister, Thea."

I can't help but gawk at the beauty of Paul and Jared - both of their muscles can be seen through their shirts, but mainly Paul. Each have bright white smiles and short, spiky hair.

"Thea," the one who I think is Jared greets before turning to Sam. "Where did Tiffany say she put the muffins again?"

Sam slaps the back of Jared's head before shoving him into the kitchen with a laugh. I watch the two of them go before turning back to the remaining man in the room, Paul.

"Hey," I greet quietly, intimidated by the size of him.

"What's up?" He asks, smirking as he leans against the wall behind him.