18 | like gravity

Thea

A gentle knock on my bedroom door startled me - proving that my recent findings had put me on edge. First vampires, now werewolves. What could possibly be next?

"Come in," I call, swiveling around on my desk chair to face the door. Embry's head peeks in, a cautious smile on his face. I feel my heart beat quicken at his smile - his ever so infectious smile that warms my entire being.

Fuck it. I thought, a smile mirroring his growing on my face. Wolf or not, Embry is my best friend.

"Hi," I say, a genuine happy feeling bubbling in the pit of my stomach - the first time I had felt anything except worry. Embry shuffles into my room, taking a wary seat on the edge of my bed.

"How are you . . . dealing with the legends?" Embry asks, not knowing how to go about this subject. I shrug my shoulders, not wanting to put him through much worry.

Unlike vampires, the pack was created for the purpose of saving lives instead of taking them. So - as much as I hate to admit it - I was slowly becoming at terms with the supernatural.

"It makes me feel kind of safe, to be honest," I say after I shrugged. "To know that I have a pack full of werewolves keeping me safe."

"No harm will ever come to you again, T, I can bet my life on that." Embry says the minute I finished my sentence. I'm a bit taken aback at this, seeing a different - almost hard - side of Embry.

"So what actually is patrol?" I ask him, spinning myself in chair. "I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the police?"

"None at all," Embry chuckles, standing abruptly. "But there are some things we need to talk about and I feel like we should go on a walk."

I was about to deny this - until I saw the look in Embry's eyes. Unlike his usual goofy demeanor, he seems very serious and determined.

"Let me get some shoes on," I say, standing from the chair and swiftly moving to my closet. I pull on the first pair of boots I see and turn to Embry. "Lead the way."

Embry does so - leading me out of my house and a good few miles into the woods. He's silent, something also unusual for Embry. I can feel the heat radiate from him as we walk shoulder to shoulder through the foliage.

"Everything okay?" I ask him, nudging his arm with my own.

He sighs, shaking his head. "Yes but no."

"What's up?" I ask, stopping to stand in front of him. He has a conflicted look on his face as he runs his hands through his short black hair.

"Do you know what it's like to find your soulmate?" Embry asks.

I shrug my shoulders, looking down at my fingers. My mind flitted to the thought of Jasper. Where was he going with this?

"There's this thing that happens to a wolf when they find their soulmate - it's called imprinting." Embry explains, his hands making small circular gestures as he speaks.

"So," I speak, shuffling my feet. "Love at first sight?"

"Not entirely - when a shapeshifter sees a certain girl or woman, nothing else matters to them anymore. That girl becomes their sole purpose of existing, everything else is secondary to her. She becomes the blood in your veins and the air in your lungs. She holds you to the earth - like gravity." Embry says, his words clear and thoughtful. His eyes close as he speaks of the topic, so intimately as if it had happened to him.

"Did you imprint on someone?" I ask, a smile spreading across my face. Embry deserved the best love in the world.

"But imprinting doesn't necessarily mean you're intimately involved with this girl. You'll be anything she needs - a lover, a friend, a protector, a brother." Embry ignores my question, continuing his monologue. He stops, waiting a pregnant minute before speaking again. "But normally things do turn intimate between the imprinter and imprintee."

"Have you imprinted on someone?" I ask again, finally catching his wandering eyes.

Embry gulps, nodding his head stiffly. "Yeah - I did."

"Who?" I ask eagerly, grabbing onto his arm. I was happy for him - he finally found a girl that had to be deserving of his love.

"You won't like the answer," he says.

I roll my eyes, tugging on his arm. I give him my best pout. He sighs, running a hand through his hair before looking at me dead in the eyes.

"You."

•••

sorry for the wait everyone!! i had prom last weekend and didn't have a lot of time to update!!

i am *once again* making another twilight book. it's being planning right now but it will be posted soon so add it to your library!! it's called taciturn.

-M