Chapter 7 Miss you, Amms

Nandini is sitting on her bed flipping through a magazine and reading an interview. The photo of Manik Malhotra is on the cover page of the magazine. Nandini quickly reached page 52 of the magazine and there is his picture and his recent interview.

Manik Malhotra the only son of the owner of Malhotra industries from a rich affluent family. There is another picture of Manik with a tall lady. Nandini read the names under the photo "Manik Malhotra..with his mother Nyonika Malhotra". Nyonika Malhotra...she looks very stylish and seems like a business woman. Party-going type of lady lagti hai...magar Manik doesn't resemble her a bit. Is she his real mother? Nandini wondered as she lay down on her bed looking at the photo of Manik and Nyonika.

"He is handsome...specially when he doesn't wear those stupid sunglasses...his eyes are so shining and deep and his jet black shiny hair" Nandini thought as her finger without even her knowing caressed the hair of Manik in the photo.

"What am I thinking? What am I doing??" Nandini thought as she took her finger off the page. "Nandini got up and sat again to read the interview.

"My life is music. Fab 5 is my family. To me without these two life is empty" Nandini read Manik's words. "I wonder why he said so...he should be saying that Nyonika Malhotra is his family. Ok..maybe its coz he loves his friends too much. I mean which son would not love his mother?" Nandini whispered to herself.

She read the final question on the page "Are you single or dating??" Nandini eagerly read the answer "No I am still single...to me music is my life and I haven't thought of dating yet. I am happy the way I am...I am happy with Fab 5. Love doesn't have a place in my life. "

Nandini read the final sentence and whispered "Manik doesn't have a girlfriend...but he does not believe in love too? Magar woh aisa kyon hai?"

"Nanduuu..." Amms was in the hallway calling her. "Nee yenna pannren? (what are you doing?) Bags pack pannittena illaya? (Did you pack your bags or not?) U have to leave tomorrow for Mumbai. Seekiram vaa (come fast)."

"Yes Amms...I'm coming" Nandini shouted back as she placed the magazine in her suitcase and shut the suitcase tight with the sound of the lock falling in place. Nandini opened the door and walked into the hallway..where Amms was filling a huge box with chips. Amms turned back smiling and said "Da chellam...packing is done?" "Yes Amms..." Nandini replied with a huge smile.

"Inge vaa (come here)" Amms replied and took Nandini's hand...caressing her forehead. "This is the first time..I am sending you to an unknown city...Mumbai. I really want to come with you there...but since you insisted that you want to go on your first trip alone...you want to make this first big move on your own..I am not coming with you. I will drop you tomorrow morning at the railway station...and you cannot stop me from doing that, ok?" Amms said as tears started welling up in her eyes. "Amms...don't worry. I will take care of myself and Rishabh is also coming with me. He will always protect me" Nandini spoke looking at Rishabh who gave her a reassuring smile.

  "I know...Nandu...but you are a girl and trains are not safe now-a-days. I do get worried. I have asked your Venkatesh chacha to come and receive you at the station itself. All these chips are for him and your favourite Shanno chachi. She sounded very excited over phone and must've prepared herself to make lots of food for you" 

  "Yes Amms..I know..." Nandini said with a huge smile. "I just love chachi...she is so sweet, Amms..can't wait to meet her" Nandini resting her head against Amms.

"I will be missing you a lot...kanna (beloved)...without you..Amms will feel lonely. Have to eat food alone...who will I make masala dosa for? It is your favourite food..Nandu" Amms said as she hugged her Nandini tight and a drop of tear slipped down her cheeks.

"Amms...I will miss you too. I will miss eating masala dosa and sambar made by you. I will miss your hugs..." Nandini whispered. "But don't worry Amms...now its my turn to eat chachi's food for some days. I am going to be eating her newly experimented recipes" Nandini suddenly quipped with a huge smile on her face.

"Yes..and be careful...Shanno makes the weirdest recipes. U must get used to her weird cooking. " Amms said with a huge smile.

"Don't worry Amms..I love her and I am sure I'll manage to eat all she cooks" Nandini said with a huge smile.

"Tomorrow...I will leave Amms and go to a city...a city far away from Chennai where I lived all these years...will the world there be same like here?" Nandini wondered as she closed her eyes..resting herself in Amms' warm hug.