Chapter One

There seems to be only one thing that I'm good at doing: fucking things up. Like for example, oh I dunno, completely destroying my relationship with my best friend. I did something stupid and just, well there's really not another way to put it but, completely fucked up. To the extreme.

My eyes narrow at Devin from across the table. "Two kings," I say. These are my last two cards.

"Bullshit!" he says as he turns the cards over to reveal one king and one ace.

"Fucker!" I yell as I stand up. He shoves all of the cards from the middle at me, he only has one card left.

"One ace," Devin says. He lays his card up to show me one ace. He just won.

"Fuck you," I tell him. He grins arrogantly. He always beats me at cards. I shove the table and his grin grows.

"You're a sore loser," he tells me.

"Yes Devin, I am aware of that. You're a sore winner." We play cards every Saturday, I never win. His phone buzzes and he looks down.

"Oh, gotta run," he tells me. I lean back in my chair.

"Mhmm, what's this weeks flavor?" I say. Devin has a new girlfriend, or rather booty call every week. He's a man whore.

"Spicy," Devin says as he ruffles my hair.  I hit him and he laughs. I roll my eyes and he walks out of my room laughing.

Devin and I have been best friends for as long as I can remember. When middle school happened he got a deeper voice and grew into his features. All the girls noticed. I grew up too, but I hid behind oversized clothes. I still do, actually. But one's thing for sure: our friendship still stayed strong.

"Riley! Get down here and take out the garbage!" my mom hollers.

"'Kay!" I yell down. I pull on my shoes and walk down the steps. I grab a box filled with garbage and walk to to the garbage cans. I throw it in and then walk back in for more. I stack a couple of boxes on top of each other and trudge back to the garbage cans. The boxes sway. I walk with my eyes on them and then manage to trip.

"Fuck," I grumble. I stare up at the sky.

"You look like you could use a hand," a deep voice from behind me says. I get up and then around to face the boy. He has dark blonde hair and brown eyes.

"I got it, but thanks," I tell him. I take another look at him, I don't recognize him. "I'm Riley, who are you?"

"Alex, I'm new. We just moved here, today actually," Alex tells me. He helps me put the boxes away.

"Oh, cool. Where are you from?" I ask him.

"Everywhere, I'm a Military brat," he tells me. I smile. He smiles back.

"Babes, where are you?" Devin calls as he walks up to us. He frowns when he sees Alex. "Who's this?" he asks. I open my mouth but Alex cuts me off.

"I'm Alex, my family just moved in across the street, who are you?" Alex says. Devin throws an arm around my shoulders.

"Devin," he says and then looks at me like why the fuck are you talking to him?

"What happened to your booty call?" I ask him. I turn to Alex and say, "Dev here is gay."

"I'm not gay! My booty call was a little too, what's the word? Clingy...  but man she had a killer rack," Devin tells me. I roll my eyes and look at Alex. He stands there awkwardly.

"I'll see you around, maybe we can hang out later," Alex says. I nod and we both smile. I watch him walk back to his house. Devin's arm is still slung across my shoulders. I push it off and he smirks. We walk back into the house.